Radeon 9700Pro vs. Nvidia 5900XT

Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
opinions?

Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.

"Jeff Gibbons" <muchachos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
> the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
> opinions?
>
> Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
> until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.

I've got the 5900XT. Two of them, in fact. Excellent gaming card. But
check out the 5900 (no XT) on sale at Newegg for about $174 (last I
checked). That one is somewhere between 5900XT and *9800* PRO in terms of
performance. Heckuva bargain, if they've still got them. But if not, I
think you'd like the 5900XT. -Dave

In article <HqCSc.169321$wH4.10660010@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Jeff
Gibbons says...
> Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
> the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
> opinions?
>
> Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
> until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.

Doom 3 is shite. Its too dark. Get a 128MB 9800 Pro.
--
Conor

Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
devious bastards.

"Conor" wrote:
> Jeff Gibbons says...
> > Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
> > the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
> > opinions?
> >
> > Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
> > until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.
> >

> Doom 3 is shite. Its too dark. Get a 128MB 9800 Pro.

Increase your gamma and brightness when using 3D apps in ATI control panel if the
in-game console settings don't provide enough detail for you..

Jon

Then I would wait. Prices will always come down. Check out the refurbs on
www.newegg.com You can always find a good bargain there.

In article <2o1v83F5vioaU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jon Danniken says...

> Increase your gamma and brightness when using 3D apps in ATI control panel if the
> in-game console settings don't provide enough detail for you..

Doom 3 is dark and shite no matter what setting you use. Its part of
the game. Apparently its called "atmospheric".

--

"Conor" wrote:
> Jon Danniken says...
>
> > Increase your gamma and brightness when using 3D apps in ATI control panel if the
> > in-game console settings don't provide enough detail for you..
> >
> Doom 3 is dark and shite no matter what setting you use. Its part of
> the game. Apparently its called "atmospheric".

If you don't like the game, that's fine, but there most certainly *are* ways to
increase the visibility in that game; I mentioned the two most effective ones, and
there are other ways to do it as well (powerstrip, et cetera).

Jon