radeon doesn't show bios on boot?

Choppaface

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I'm having an issue with radeon cards not showing the bios screen or post information on boot when I use a DVI display. Once windows boots though (and loads the necessary drivers I take it) everything works fine. I've tried both a Radeon 9000 and 9200 pro and have had the same issues. When I use a display with VGA input, though, it displays everything fine. Moreover, when I use my geforce 4 ti 4400 with a DVI display it does actually show the BIOs screen and POST information, etc, before windows boots. I have a feeling that my display (a 23in Apple Cinema) might be causing the problems, but since the Geforce 4 works I was wondering if it might be a Radeon-DVI issue and if perhaps other people have had similar problems.

For those who think I'm crazy ditching the gf4, the card has a busted fan and I was looking for something cheap and fanless to replace it (I'm not a gamer).

Thanks for any help :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 2nd output is a secondary output. The card displays BIOS and stuff out of the primary output, which is the VGA connector. I'm not sure if the driver switches the card's primary/secondary display device on the card, or if it only does it in the driver, but that's worth a shot unless someone else knows for certain it's only changing it in the driver.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
huh

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Big hug!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>