[SOLVED] Radeon DPCP support override

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
If I plug a monitor via displayport will the AMD drivers be able to override DPCP like with an HDMI connection?
I've set the HDCP support to disabled just in case to stream videos to a larger TV and it worked but would the same work with a monitor that only has DP as port?

Thx.

By the way my graphics card is an RX 590 by the way, 3 in fact but the video outputs are connected to the first card only and the remaining 2 are mining ETH so I can afford a new monitor that otherwise would cost me 1-2 years of work. To the moon 🚀

Solution
HDCP works over both HDMI and DisplayPort for both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. So there should be no problems.

You probably should reconsider your mining habits. It is possible that you will lose good part of investment in this effort when current crypto cycle will poof.
There's two different things here
HDMI/Display Port(DP) are physical connector standards like ethernet.
HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a communication handshake between the display devices that verifies copy protection support. (like TCP/IP is a protocol which runs over ethernet)

the HDCP format support is the same across both hardware standards.

Edit: Fixed Typo DHCP->HDCP

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow
HDCP works over both HDMI and DisplayPort for both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. So there should be no problems.

You probably should reconsider your mining habits. It is possible that you will lose good part of investment in this effort when current crypto cycle will poof.

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
There's two different things here
HDMI/Display Port(DP) are physical connector standards like ethernet.
HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a communication handshake between the display devices that verifies copy protection support. (like TCP/IP is a protocol which runs over ethernet)

the HDCP format support is the same across both hardware standards.

Edit: Fixed Typo DHCP->HDCP
Ohhh so it's the same so I can simply leave it disabled when I get the monitor.

I bought the cards last year not for mining but for simple resale (bulk cards w/o boxes and gimmicks) but when the bubble began to grow I got to mine and doubled my initial investment in weeks. Started mining ETH and bought BTC at about 18K, then sold first at 50-ish then at 62K.

I know it'll pop again but so far it's giving me legit twice as much as my job and in USD that's somewhat immune to devaluation and a skyrocketing inflation, my country's going to hell in a handbasket and crypto is like a rescue team on a heli trying to save me 🤣