Radeon graphics card keeps crashing when driver installed.

idmidwebe

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
During the installation of graphics card drivers for the Radeon HD 7970 (using the latest AMD catalyst and updating the driver through Windows' device manager) it crashes after brief artifacting, and continuously reboots and crashes. Eventually it boots again but the drivers aren't installed.
I wonder if this is a software issue or if it is down to possibly blown capacitors, or if it is a much more complicated hardware issue.
I got the card from Ebay wondering if I could fix it. It was sold with artifacting issues, and the card seems to have worked previously as the fan was dusty from usage.

My system previously worked fine with two other Nvidia graphics card (GTX 550ti and GT 610).

My system's specifications are:
RAM: 8GB ddr3
STORAGE: 2TB hdd, 240GB ssd, 60GB ssd
CPU: amd fx 4170
GPU: AMD Radeon HIS HD 7970
PSU: 750 watt

idmidwebe

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
Thank you!
I think that was definitely part of the answer!
I opened up the graphics card and replaced the thermal paste and pads. After that the card showed sever artifacts on booting, rebooted and then showed up fine for a while, but with usage it overheated and shut down. I realised I left the fan unplugged ;3 I then plugged it back in, and the same thing happened.
I took the card out, uninstalled the old drivers and then installed old drivers which came with the gpu. Some artifacts were shown at one point but only for a split second, but it works perfectly now. Thank you!