radeon HD 3650 AGP I need help !!!

Lion King ASLAN

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hello eweryone !!!
Last week i bought a Radeon HD3650 AGP card and now i am having a serious problems with it.
Problem is that almost ewery game crashes as soon as loading is complete and my computer restarts. The only two games that actualy works without a problem are Test drive unlimited and Max Payne 2.
I tried to instail ewery posible driver that i can find and no one solves the problem fo me besides official ATI and sapphire Catalyst Agp hotfix drivers i tried Omega drivers and even drivers from other manufacters(asus,MSI,...)and nothing helped me to solve the problem and that is the reason whay i am asking you for help.
I have got a fresh instalation of windows with latest fixes from microsoft and the latest drivers for all my hardware.
My computer specifications:

AMD Athlon XP 3200 (Barton core,Socket A)
2 GB DDR400 ram
MSI KT6V Mainboard
1x80GB IDE Western Digital harddrive
1x160GB SATA Western Digital harddrive
420 Watt LCPower
Plextor PX-755 DVDwriter
Sapphire Radeon HD3650 AGP 512DDR3
Windows XP MCE Service pack 2

I am working with computers for almost 10 years and i newer expirienced problems like this.

I hope that together we will solve this problem.

Good luck and have a nice day!

Primož Osolnik

Lion King ASLAN

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
My PSU should be enough strong to feed this card because it feed my prewious card Nvidia 6800 ultra without problem

Here is a link to my power suply: http://www.lc-power.com/
you can find it under silent series
it has got 420 watt and is around 2 years old

kgraf

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
have you considered your power supply? the new card might draw more power or the power supply might have become unstable.

kwksnd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
i had the same prob

i fixed this problem by going to the saphire site and getting the drivers specificly made for the hd3650 agp and it fixed it for me

seems the drivers off the actual ati site are not working with it.

i ran dxdiag and when testing direct x7 it failed
and with the saphire drivers it is fine.

hope this helps

gjianop

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I'm having a similar problem also with this card since I purchased it 1 month ago. No matter what game I'm playing the card fails after about 30 min to 1 hour. The game is still going but the screen is blank and I have to reboot. It seems the card resets the resolution down a notch to med bit graphics instead of high. I then have to reset this. I have a 7yr old Dell Dimension 8250, 2.4ghz P4 (850 chipset) with 1g Rambus Ram and 500w power. I have updated all drivers (chipset, bois and ATI). Only the hotfixes from the Sapphire site work. Other than gaming no problems. Might be an overheating issue with mine since the fan is kicking hard at failure and the system really slows down and I mean really. Did manual check and cooling fans are running.

smarty2009

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
To tell the truth these HD3650 (or 3850) cards with PCIe-AGP bridge are not fully compatible with the old motherboards (AGP slots, chipsets, etc.) The manufacturers try to gain some money from this part of the market too.
To demonstrate the situation: This card for the old (AGP) motherboard is just like a Ferrari Testarossa engine for a Fiat Uno. :lol:

Tungar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
To tell the truth, Smarty, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Possibly, yes, some motherboards may not honor the 8x agp standard correctly, but thats not the fault of the Card, Manufacturer, or the AGP standard itself.

Regardless, there is no way a HD3850 is going to exceed 2GB/s of data throughput to flood the AGP bus.

Testarossa engine into a Uno, my arse.

Go read a book.

Personally, I feel a 3850 is an ideal upgrade for an AGP system, and would like to see more options available for the 'old' agp hardware.

Re: your problems - the likely culprit is your PSU - however your mobo could be failing too. Can you spot any swollen capacitors on your motherboard?

misfitnz

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

My flatmate has the same card, as does the guy in this thread:

<http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264749-33-radeon-3650-crashing>

The bridge chip on the back side of the card in my flatmate's machine gets too hot to touch, even idling in Windows desktop. Pic of chip here:

<http://www.overclockzone.com/NiNe_iZe/Year_2008/05/sapphire-hd3650-512-agp/HHH.jpg>

I'm going to remove the gunk off the bridge chip and try to heatsink it somehow, even though it's really close to both the AGP slot and the northbridge heatsink in her rig.

To summarize, the bridge chip overheats. Extremely. 150 deg C or more at a guess.

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
If you have an AGP ATI card, it's not supported in the official drivers. You have to get the "hotfix" catalyst drivers for AGP cards, you can find the latest ones on the amd site.

dehito

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
The problem may be caused by using two different type of harddisk. U should remove one of the harddisk. IDE and SATA usually have trouble if u use them together.

G

First you need a power supply
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=82

Look down the page at The System Requirement:

AGP based PC is required with one 4X/8X AGP slot available on the motherboard.
1GB or greater system memory for better performance.
450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommanded.
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive.
DVD playback requires DVD driver
Blu-ray/HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive and playback software.

I had the same problem with the graphic card
minimum power supply is 450Watt and now i've 500Watt and it's working beautifulllllll !!

Just look at here : http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=82