Radeon HD 4650 interfere with audigy soundcard

yummie

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hello folks

I recently bought a radeon hd 4650, and after I installed it my audigy sound card has been acting wierd. I've been looking around for a solution for this, but only managed to get the on-board sound working correctly.

But it's my audigy sound card I want to use so.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Return it and go with a different brand. What weirdness do you get exactly? The audiology cards tend to cause a ton of problems. You can try to put in newer drivers for it but it isn't uncommon to hear about these cards screwing systems up. I would try ASUS xonar but I don't know what your budget is.

yummie

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
I have the latest drivers for both the audigy and my radeon card. The audigy card has never given me any trouble before, but ever since I installed the radeon 4650 I hear wierd noises whenever I move the mouse cursor over random icons in windows for instance. In games there are missing sounds, and the sound itself is somewhat distorted.

I've been trying to fix it again since my last post. Now it's even worse, when windows starts I get a message telling me there's a PCI card plugged in but windows can't find any drivers for it. I believe this has something to do with the HDMI sound in the radeon card, is it possible to disable it somehow?

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

It most likely is due to the HDMI audio trying to make itself the default audio device. Assuming that you're running some flavor of windows, go to the device manager in the control panel and disable the audio device listed as "ATI HDMI Audio" and this will solve the problem if it actually is related to your video card. For what it's worth I'm currently running an Audigy 2 and a Radeon 4850 and have no problems with either.

yummie

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
That did the trick! Windows isn't nagging me anymore about the "PCI card" anymore.
I also had to use "Creative Restore Defaults" to get rid of the distortions afterward.

With many thanks, yummie