Status
Not open for further replies.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
TH gentlemen,

You are my only hope. I am having some issues running Battlefield 3 with my new Radeon HD 5770. Basically, upon starting campaign or joining a multiplayer server, my game sound loops, the game freezes, CAD -> to see 100% CPU usage, and then I have to end the process. I have done everything in the book that the Origin tech support people say to do. Re-install the game, origin, drivers, disable UPnP, turn off anti-virus, etc. etc. None of this works.

Specs as follows:

MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus II Formula (LGA 775)
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
1465GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (SATA)

And before anyone says "need a new cpu or mobo," I actually swapped out my 5770 for gits and shiggles, for my old 9600GT. Surprisingly enough, the game ran on all "low" settings with cpu usage around 30%. The game was sort of choppy though and not really enjoyable.

I've checked the temps and everything when booting up the game in CCC to make sure nothing is overheating, I've also set the fan at 80% just to be sure. Once in a while I'll also get the "An AMD driver stopped working but has recovered" error, but it doesn't happen every time my game freezes. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the game or just the card?

Solution
Best to get yourself a new system like you are thinking and you will be able to enjoy playing the game , you can always sell off the old pc parts on ebay to make a few bucks to go to the new system.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yes I did. Many times actually since I tried re-installing the drivers so many times. I used DriverSweeper from phyxion. I always booted up in safemode, removed the traces of AMD or nVidia stuff with DriverSweeper. I also used CCleaner to remove bad registry entries. Any other ideas? I thought it was just the game at first, but it somehow runs on that "lesser" card I have, so it's got to be a hardware issue, right? However, Starcraft 2, Dota 2, Counterstrike Source, Skyrim etc. all run on the HD 5770 just fine.

No, since I don't have BF3, unfortunately I probably don't have much beyond stock suggestions for you.
Did you completely uninstall the game, including blowing out the program directory and registry hive (if any) for it?
(Clutching at a straw here...) is there any kind of separate VIDTEST (or similar) program that installs with it? For example, Diablo II would never run right the first time until I ran that program, never mind how powerful my PC was/is compared to that game's requirements.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Not that I know of. I've noticed other people having the exact same problem with various AMD cards as well as nVidia cards, but there doesn't appear to be a surefire solution for it. I was hoping someone had some divine knowledge along the lines of, "run this program" or "delete this" and it was magically start working. I've exhausted all my resources of computer knowledge and the fact that my older, not-as-good card runs the game when the newer, "better" card, does not.

Everyone who seems to have the same problem still are just waiting for more BF3 updates or AMD driver updates. I don't think that's the case though because there are people who are playing the game with HD 5770's.

Is it possible that video card is "too new" or "too good" for my MOBO and CPU? I know my rig is a little older. Could that be causing the "loop" that freezes my game and sends my CPU % to 100? I also read something that it could possibly be bad memory because of that TDR error. But again, my RAM is brand new and I can run all my other games just fine.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Anyone have a similar rig with a similar problem? Or any other ideas on fixing this. I just completely wiped and re-installed .net framework 4 and vc++ again. Just to make sure I have covered all my bases.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Your "issue" is something common, because your CPU is dual core that's why you see %100 of use. BF3 uses at least 3 cores. I tell you this because one of my pc's with an HD 5770 had the same "issue" . And the only way to "solve" or make capable the pc to play BF3 is changing the CPU for a quad core. In my case I changed my phenomII 550 overclocked @ 3.8Ghz with 4GBadata, with a PhenomII X6 1100 overclocked @4GHz with 8GB DDR3 @1752Mhz adata on a gigabyte ga-770T usb3 and the same Video card. and it can play the game without problems whatsoever at 1080p high settings I just lowered the MSAA to 2x and AA to 2x, HBAO SSAO to off and view of field to 70. and there you go !! you will be playing from 30FPS to 48FPS!! so the secret is the cpu.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I would run a stress test (first VGA, then CPU and mem) to make sure my system is stable. Then perhaps try different revision of drivers (newer or older) and finally make sure you have all the latest patches for the game.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

That can't be the issue because I put my old 9600GT in and I could play the game on all low settings @ about 15-20 FPS. Why would an older card be able to run the game on the same CPU but not this newer card?

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Sorry for double post. I have rolled back and tried a bunch of different CCC's (older and preview versions) with no luck. I can't even get into the game before it crashes so amounts in HWMonitor etc. aren't accurate.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
@_Pez_ there is no fix for this besides buying a new mobo + cpu? why does the the 9600GT run the game just fine? And how is it I run other demanding games like Skyrim with no problem? I'm not trying to question your knowledge, I just simply don't understand it.

I checked some of the values in HWMonitor before and as it crashed.

The highest temp on the card was 38C. The highest temp on core#0 and core#1 was both 59C.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I'm not saying that your system has problem because it hasn't. What I am telling you is that your CPU is not capable of playing BF3 because it makes use of at least 3 cores. I see this on my X61100, i7920, and phenomII960T 5 core unlocked this one with an hd 4670LOL..

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Oh ok. Would underclocking the HD 5770 using MSI Afterburner or something yield any positive results? In a sense, it makes the card "less" powerful so the CPU doesn't bottleneck it?

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
No it wouldn't do any difference srry about that. you need to upgrade your CPU.. I'm posting this link for you from Battlelog read some of the users posts and convince yourself. fixed http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/
There's a lot of ppl with the same card (5770) no issues because they are using quad cores cpus even those that use old quad cores from intel runing at 2.4Ghz can play the game with that card...

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Borrowed a friend's Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz. Game still crashes. I still get the "AMD Driver has stopped working and has recovered..." error. Any other ideas?

Also, the CPU usage does not go to 100% when the game freezes up though.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
well looks like you already tried everything, use another drive for windows installation and install the game in the same drive, try with a fresh windows installation and drivers with your same hardware even that borrowed quadcore except for your HDD's. that way must work well the game at least.. if it works then you should be thinking in reformatting your HDD. I can feel your annoyance about this problem ..

monsta

Splendid
BF3 is known for freezing up with sound loops and crashing , many times its that the game just slaughters your hardware.
A core2duo with only 4gb of ram and a 5770 can easily be brought to its knees.
I was running a E8500 overclocked to 4gb, 4gb of ram and the cpu and the ram would top out.
I went and got a QX9650 and added another 4gb of ram , to my suprise the game stopped crashing. A intel Core 2 quad Q6600 2.4Ghz is too slow for BF3, it only just meets the minimum requirements to play the game and therefore it won't play very well if it isnt overclocked.
I personally dont think theres a fault with your graphics card, but BF3 is a very demanding game and if your hardware aint up to it, it will let you know just by playing it.

xxseekxx

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks guys, I'm at my wits end with this. I think I will just purchase a new mobo, i5 CPU, and a 570Ti and call it quits.

@monsta I know it is quite demanding. The only silly thing that I don't understand is that I can play the game with my 9600GT and the Core 2 Duo. It's just that I get awful FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS