[SOLVED] Radeon HD 6790 issues.

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Hello guys!

I have a little problem at my workplace. I got to use a computer, which has a Radeon HD 6790, ASUS P5Q motherboard, and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 inside. I was working fine, until one fully random point, where the computer shut itself down. The GPU and CPU fans were going at max speed, while no other things happened. Fun fact, that the other fan on the back of the case wasn't moving at all meanwhile, although it is connected. I managed to make the PC working by turning off the PSU and wiggling the GPU a bit. I think this "stroke" happens when the GPU moves a bit in its socket, but the result is very strange to me. What is the problem, and what should I do to fix this forever? (Wiggling the GPU is temporary fix, of course).

Solution
Try reseating the Radeon card (ie completely remove from the slot then firmly put it back).

If you've got an air-duster handy, give the slot a quick blast of air before putting the card back.
Hello guys!

I have a little problem at my workplace. I got to use a computer, which has a Radeon HD 6790, ASUS P5Q motherboard, and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 inside. I was working fine, until one fully random point, where the computer shut itself down. The GPU and CPU fans were going at max speed, while no other things happened. Fun fact, that the other fan on the back of the case wasn't moving at all meanwhile, although it is connected. I managed to make the PC working by turning off the PSU and wiggling the GPU a bit. I think this "stroke" happens when the GPU moves a bit in its socket, but the result is very strange to me. What is the problem, and what should I do to fix this forever? (Wiggling the GPU is temporary fix, of course).
Oh perhaps you got it to work again because you flipped the psu switch off and on.
If the problem remains....I might suspect the PSU.

s y e l k a

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
Oh perhaps you got it to work again because you flipped the psu switch off and on.
If the problem remains....I might suspect the PSU.
Yes, I switched it. However, I tried only switching it without touching GPU, but 3 out of 4 times it didn't work. But I also have a slight suspicion on the PSU.