Radeon HD 6950 Crossfire and my CPU

dcboyz22

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hey everyone,

My system is currently rocking an AMD Phenom 955 quad core Black Edition processor overclocked to a stable 3.8ghz and a Radeon HD 6950 2gb graphics card. I am wondering if my processor can properly handle running two HD 6950's in crossfire mode? From what I have read this seems to be the case but want to see what others think. I want to be able to max out the witcher 2 (awesome game) on ultra settings and play the upcoming Skyrim on full blast settings. Thoughts?

- me

Well, the CPU is strong enough to handle HD 6950s in CF but you might see a little bottleneck in some cases, to simplify more, you might not get the maximum FPS that you should get from the HD 6950s CF compared to i5 2500K or i7 2600K with HD 6950s in CF.

dcboyz22

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Later on down the road I am thinking of getting a "faster" processor but thanks for confirming my thoughts. I am now digging to see if I can combine a 1gb video card with a 2gb video card. Wooh, so much to digest!

Faster CPU means you'll have to switch to Intel, and i say it's another story.......

Current AMD FX CPUs (Bulldozer) or X6 "Thubans" aren't faster than your current X4 955 specially in gaming.

The VRAM size in the CF/SLI setups is not doubles, it's mirrored between GPUs. IF you CF HD 6950 1 GB with HD 6950 2 GB you'll end up having HD 6950s running in 1 GB of VRAM.

CF/SLI FAQs
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-faqs

Yeah, as long you you are playing high-GPU intensive games. Which I believe those games are. As for a faster CPU, you would have to go Intel, unless you wanted an X6. But, really, most games don't support 6-core CPUs yet. Only a few, and you shouldn't upgrade from a Phenom II to another Phenom II. I would say go for the hd6950s CF, and maybe later upgrade to a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge when needed.

Hope this helped. :)