Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition (1GB) OR GeForce GTX 650 (2GB)?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egnhan98

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello all! I am currently contemplating on whether I should get this:

MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition (1GB) ($124.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-MSI-_-14127687

or

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 (2GB) ($134.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130830

I will also be upgrading my power supply so any suggestions are great (I currently run on a 250 watt PSU).

My specs:

Model: a4327c

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB Usable)

64 - bit Operating System

Open Slot of PCI Express X16

Current Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Power Supply: 250 watt

My budget is $300.00.

Solution
We know what mobo you have by googling the model number of your pc you listed, giving us the HP spec page. Here is my suggestion for a system under 600 bucks(you can reuse your current dvd burner, as well as using your 320GB HDD for additional storage) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.84 @ NCIX US)...

egnhan98

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Wait, how do you know what motherboard I have?
And also, EDIT - My new budget is $500 dollars!
Honestly I'm considering a new computer that's less than 600. Recommendations?

jtenorj

Distinguished
We know what mobo you have by googling the model number of your pc you listed, giving us the HP spec page. Here is my suggestion for a system under 600 bucks(you can reuse your current dvd burner, as well as using your 320GB HDD for additional storage) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.84 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $598.25
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 08:45 EST-0500)

Any time you buy more than 50 bucks worth of stuff at ncix in one go, shipping is free. You will want to get the hyper tx3 and new copy of win 7 home premium 64 bit OEM at amazon. You will want to get the haf 912 at ncix. That way you can avoid more shipping charges. Actually, that puts you slightly over 600 after 40 bucks in rebates, but that combo of case, cooler, and mobo can push the 965BE to 4ghz which should allow you to play any game without a serious cpu bottleneck. The hd7850 can be overclocked to great effect, yielding much higher performance than what it ships with. PSU, ram and HDD are all quality parts. Hope this helps.

Oh, yeah. That mushkin from ncix is on back order at the moment, but more is on the way and it would ship as soon as it gets there.

Edit: If you have plenty of free space on your current hdd, you could reuse it too and skip that 500GB HDD. That would keep everything under 600 from the word go(even if you got different ram or the same ram elsewhere for a bit more money). If you have less than 120GB of data on there, you could defrag you hard drive so that everything is in the first 120GB. Then you could use a free partition management tool to create a 200GB partition at the end of the drive above the existing 120GB of space(making 2 partitions, one being 120GB and one 200GB). You can copy over any downloaded exe files for programs you are running to the 200GB storage partition, then install the new OS on the 120GB partition(along with any games or programs you want to run) and use the 200GB partition for storage. Keep in mind the difference between what the OS reports as GB and HDD manufacturers marketing(OS GB is 2 to the 30th ie 1,073,741,524 bytes while marketing puts a GB at 1 billion bytes). You can see how much space you are using by right clicking your HDD in my computer and selecting properties in the drop down menu. You should get a pie chart showing you exactly how many bytes of that approximate 320 billion you are using and how many bytes are free. You could also partition differently if you want (160x2 for example). I just suggest 120 if you can fit since that is a fairly popular capacity of ssd for installing the OS, some large games and apps you use frequently. Or spring for more storage. Whatever you want. One other concern is how are you going to use your burner in that capacity after the switch. I imagine you PC came with software preinstalled. You may have a backup partition with the files to reinstall either on a new drive or the old one. You would probably want to destroy that recovery partition if using the old drive alone(after having made one or more recovery disks, of course).

Solution

jtenorj

Distinguished
Thanks for the vote of confidence, iceclock. I think I have come to a realization. The OP didn't know what a motherboard was, didn't know how we knew their mobo and the potential part list the OP made had an intel chipset mobo with a amd cpu(not compatible).

Here I am, talking about overclocking now (like finding a free program to alter the base clock and ram ratios in the OS since his mobo doesn't support those features) and overclocking both the 965BE and the HD7850 in a new build. The OP admits to not knowing a whole heck of a lot about this stuff, so that's why they came here to ask for some advice. They may be willing to learn(not too hard), but probably don't want at this point in time or the very near future to face some of the potential risks associated with building what will essentially be their first home built rig that could either damage components or cause them to not work as well as they can/should.

There are a number of tutorials on youtube about how to properly assemble a computer, as well as many extensive forum topics about how to overclock a cpu or gpu(either in general, or specific cpu and gpu models). Those of us who have been on the forum a while know what parts are a good bang for your buck within certain budgets, and may even be able to give helpful tips for the build process and overclocking.

OP, I wouldn't blame you if the idea of basically assembling an entire computer seems a bit daunting, but we are here to help. You really won't find a better deal amongst prebuilt machines than what you can accomplish by buying quality parts for cheap and assembling/tweaking them yourself to get the best performance for your dollar.

egnhan98

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

AMAZING.
THANK YOU.
Do you guys know any places that may assemble this? And thank you, again!

jtenorj

Distinguished
You may find one or more local shops/stores that can assemble the parts for you(for a modest fee, of course). If you want them to overclock the components as well, that might cost substantially more(where it may take 30 minutes to assemble the system and a bit longer to install the os and get it up and running, the initial tests for finding a potential overclock as well as overnight torture testing for long term stability might cost even more if they offer it despite the fact it's less labor intensive and more waiting around and using their electricity to perform tests). If you haven't already, you might try searching youtube for videos on how to put together a system.

You may end up doing some research yourself to find best practices in overclocking these components. Again, while building a system yourself for the first time can be a little scary, you would feel a real sense of accomplishment if you managed to do it yourself and it boots up your first try turning on the power. If you are careful in selecting a build location(maybe a cleared off kitchen table or dining room table if the floor is hard and flat) and start yourself grounded with occasional breaks to ground yourself again(staying off carpet and maybe even being barefoot help a lot). Pay special attention to mounting the mobo into the case. read all those directions that come with the case and all those directions that come with the mobo.

You might consider whether you have any friends in the hood that are big enough computer geeks that you could ask them to help you put the system together(maybe offer them a few bucks). They might even enjoy helping you overclock the cpu and video card(again, for a few extra bucks). That way you can get to know a friend better in regards to one of their interests you previously maybe weren't so into, learn a few things for a time down the road when you may want to get a whole new system again, and just feel more connected to the hardware by being there and even getting your hands dirty in the process(not really dirty, more a figure of speech). As far as tools and what not, you don't really need an anti static wrist wrap to protect circuitry from static shock(just ground yourself to start and every so often during the build). It's a good idea to have a phillips head screw driver with a magnetic tip( just enough magnetism to pick up a dropped screw, not near enough to damage any components). Maybe a flashlight.

I almost forgot. I think I read about some stores that offer to send out a tech who walks you through building your own system. You might consider that too(but I think it might be a bit expensive). Your first build will probably take closer to an hour to put together. It's only after you've built a number of systems that time drops to under a half hour. The inital stages of overclocking a part may take a few hours plus one (or more) overnight stability test(s) during which you will most likely be asleep. If you want more details about handling components or grounding yourself, let us know. Same goes for general advice on how to overclock a cpu or video card.

You may just want to build the system(or have it built/ a combo of the 2) and load the OS/apps/games and see how you like the stock performance first. If it meets your needs, you may not need to overclock(although will probably want to a least overclock the cpu for guild wars 2). You could overclock the video card later if need be to get more life out of it(or if you find overclocking fun you may want to go ahead and do it for the video card too). Prime95 is a good way to stress a cpu far more than any game will(free download) and Furmark is a good program to stress a video card more than any game will( another free download I believe). Turn you cpu and gpu fans up as high as your ears can tolerate, and start testing the cpu first looking for errors(or rather error free test runs ideally) with intervals of say 20 minutes testing followed by 20 minutes of idle time. Maybe change the clocks straight away from 3.4(stock) to 3.7 (that's 980BE speed). If no errors and temps are ok, go ahead and try 4ghz. if you get errors(I imagine temps would still be ok), try bumping the voltage up a bit and test again. If you are error free and temps are alright, then consider an overnight test. If you get no errors and monitoring software shows temps stayed decent(free monitoring software can be found online too or may even ship with the mobo as it does with many) that is a safe overclock. Don't exceed 110% or stock voltage or +.1 volts, which ever comes first.

Cpu overclocking may go fairly quickly, actually if you don't mess with the base clock and just use multipliers. Overclocking the video card is similar, but with more variables(gpu mainly and ram as well). You can adjust fan speed and max tdp in the driver software. You can use a program like msi afterburner(free) for adjusting clocks and monitoring temps(you may do these things in the mobo bios for the cpu or by using software that comes with the mobo). Start with a 25mhz increase on the core and go from there(you may get from 860 stock to as much as 1200 some mhz). After overclocking the gpu, start the process over with ram. This is different since both amd and nvidia use error correcting ram in their cards since the hd5000 series and the gtx400 series respectively. That means when ram frequency is too high, instead of errors you will see a slow down in performance(operations start taking longer as the ram takes time to fix the errors). forgot to mention when you reach limits of voltage or temps(70s for gpu, not sure about cpu), back off a bit and test again(25mhz bumps for gpu and vram). you will use more power when overclocking(linear increase for clock speed bumps, exponential increase for voltage bumps, combination for both) but that xfx 550w is more than up to the task(you could even throw in the likes of an overclocked hd7970 later on with that overclocked 965BE if you wanted with room to spare). OK. Done for now. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.