Radeon HD 7850 XFX Core Edition 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katon123

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hey there fellas. I have a PC with Core 2 Quad 2.5 Ghz, 4GB of Ram and a Corsair 600w 80 Plus Bronze PSU. Can I use a "Radeon HD 7850 XFX Core Edition" Graphics Card? Bottlenecking maybe? If yes, what card would you suggest?

Katon123

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Yes, I do have a PCi Express 2.0 slot, but I know I can use graphics cards that use PCi Express 3.0 slots. So, would you suggest me to go for it? I'm short on money and I want to be sure. By the way, the HD 7850 that I mention is better than a GTX 650, right?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

the 7850 has better frames per second but still suffers from latency issues (all hd 7000 series cards) make the fast frame rate look choppy in some games...the gtx 600 series does not have this...so while your frame rate may be slower (depending on card) it should be smoother. read this to see what i mean

http://www.techpowerup.com/177173/HD-7950-May-Give-Higher-Framerates-but-GTX-660-Ti-Still-Smoother-Report.html

anyways i would go with the gtx650ti if it were me....some games have been patched for the frame latency issues facing amd cards but not all have...just fyi.

Katon123

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Thank you guys for all the answers. One last question, since I don't have a clue when it comes to overclocking, could you tell me a decent card that will not bottleneck my CPU? atomicWAR said I should go for a GTX650ti. Will I be ok with that, when it comes to bottlenecking?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
you have a quad core so i think you'll be fine...if (IF) it does your talking just losing a frame or two in real world use. plus you could overclock your cpu a little if your really that worried about those frames. though i wouldn't worry at all if it were me.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
remember when the switch from core 2 quads to the nethalem...gaming wise clock for clock core 2 quads were better in games...so yeah sandy bridge was released after those but its barely a bump in games over the nethalem (bloomfield and gulftown cores). i have two rigs an i7 920 (which is bloomfield i mentioned) and i7 3930k (sandy bridge e) . when i run the same gpu i see almost identical numbers for my frame rates.

Katon123

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Thank you atomicWAR. You've been really helpful. Are you talking about the HD 7850 or the GTX650Ti in this message?

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Never had an issue with my 7850, and the 650ti is a much lower end card than the 7850. you will not experience choppiness in games, 13.1 fixes 7800 series. I have a buddy with a 660 and my 7850 out benches it in every game, we have tested. The 660ti is better as far as general fps but the 7850 still competes. The 650ti is def inferior to a 7850, especially a 2GB 7850.

That review is very one sided and does not cover a wide range of games as well. I would do more research before you buy a lower end card. Also I do not see that cpu bottlenecking the card in many games and as the above poster mentioned, you can overclock if you do see a bottleneck. I would spend the extra money and get a better card, you'll be better off in the long run. Even if you go for a 660ti, I would not buy a 650ti.

Everything i said put aside, it does depend upon what games you are playing. Are they demanding? BF3, Crysis 3? List some and it is possible if they are lower end the 650ti could be ok.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

hd 7000 latency issues for all games is not fixed yet....borderlands 2 stand out. but more patches are coming.

Katon123

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

So dear Chris, you suggest that I get a HD 7850 and not a GTX650Ti?

markiz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Everyone, including Tom's ahrdware website, is recommending 7850 2GB for a budget gaming systems. As you can see here it is a whole level above 650Ti. Which is also obvious from the price difference.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

latency issues are not all games are fixed yet....borderlands 2 stand out. but more patches are coming.

read this
http://techreport.com/review/24218/a-driver-update-to-reduce-radeon-frame-times/3

7850 is faster no question but beyond the almost fixed frame latency issues...going with nvidia also adds support for physx.

both cards are good. it comes down to personal preference and willingness to deal with amd drivers

Katon123

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Ok, I respect that fact. The only thing that I'm worried about is the bottleneck cause of my core 2 quad Q8300.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

I'm telling you buddy, if you even experience a bottleneck it won't be much and it can be overclocked. Biggest thing is to get the most for your money, and there the 7850 is your best choice. You can determine your bottleneck using HWinfo64, load sensors only, once the program is installed. You will be able to view your CPU, GPU, and RAM's current, maximum, minimum, and average percentage of utilization. Boot a game once the 7850 is in, (or w/e video card you choose), Reset the values on HWinfo before entering the game. Cause some ruckus in said game for about 5minutes and then close and check out the utilization percentages in Hwinfo, itll help massively in finding where your system is lacking. Hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.