Radeon HD 7870 Triple Monitor?

Billy123331

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Hi :)
I am attempting to get my triple monitor setup working with my old Asus Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II TOP v2 (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/HD7870DC22GD5V2/) , the card has 4 outputs : 1x DVI-D, 1x DVI-I, 1x HDMI, and 1x Display Port Output.

3 of my monitors are Dell S2240L.

I planned to use both DVI outputs using DVI -> VGA passive adapters and one native HDMI output as my monitors only has HDMI and VGA inputs :(.

Should i get an active adapter?
Or is it better if i'll plug it in with a passive DVI -> VGA adapter, and a passive Display Port -> VGA adapter. Will it work?

Also, if anyone wants an pictures or further clarification, I'd be glad to response :)

Solution

An active adapter will be required for a triple monitor setup with a HD 7870. Because of the architecture of the card you can only use 2 DVI/HDMI/VGA connections directly from the...
I wouldn't bother with analog VGA connections or active adapters, unless you only have VGA cables around and don't want to buy more. Otherwise, you might as well use all digital connections, since HDMI is backward compatible with DVI. A passive HDMI to DVI adapter should work, and they even make cables with a DVI connector on one end and an HDMI connector on the other. Both the DVI-I and DVI-D ports should support HDMI-compatible digital connections. Displayport can be backward compatible with HDMI and DVI using a passive adapter or cable as well.

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

An active adapter will be required for a triple monitor setup with a HD 7870. Because of the architecture of the card you can only use 2 DVI/HDMI/VGA connections directly from the card. A passive display-port adapter would count as one of those connections. A active DP adapter is required to bypass this limitation.

Solution
Ah, yeah, that might be the case for that card. The best option would probably be to use an active DP to HDMI adapter for one screen, a regular HDMI cable for another, and a passive DVI to HDMI adapter or cable for the third. Or, you could use a passive DVI-I to VGA for the third, if you already had one of those around and didn't mind the analog connection.