Question Radeon HD 7950 overheating

Feb 14, 2019
Okay...
My uncle gave me a new Graphics card for my birthday (his old one (he upgraded))
I used a GTX 650 and played alot of games on low - medium graphics no problem

I put in my new graphics card in and started up the computer
No problems occurred and when I went into Arma 3 it immediately started overheating in like 1 minute, it restarted my pc and every time I go into ANY game it overheats and restarts

I thought it was not getting enough power so I got a new power supply but the problem still occurs

My uncle did bring me the drivers and I did install it completely and successfully

Yet it keeps overheating?

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
So that style cooler, exhausts all the hot air into the case. If you do not have a case with plenty of front air intake and rear exhaust, you are choking that card to death. What kind of case do you have?

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
well being open is different, from having good air flow. Can you send a pic of your set up? but like I said before replacing the old thermal paste with some high quality stuff could help. You could also download afterburner and setup an aggressive fan curve.

Feb 14, 2019
well being open is different, from having good air flow. Can you send a pic of your set up? but like I said before replacing the old thermal paste with some high quality stuff could help. You could also download afterburner and setup an aggressive fan curve.
Well the power is out now (loadshedding) but when it's back on I'll download msi afterburner
And the entire case is open
The front panels is removed, there is no side panel and it's a giant grid behind

Feb 14, 2019
Just installed msi afterburner and my idle temp is 38 and I literally go into the least graphic game I have on the lowest graphic setting and it load in like 10 seconds
After its done loading I go to msi afterburner and check my temp and it's on 60 in like 10 seconds

If I put my fingers on the graphics card I can feel how it heats up like a stove
Just much faster

Feb 14, 2019
I increased my fans to 50% and it didn't help so I did 100% and still did NOTHING!
It gets so hot that it actually burns me and after 20 seconds in game it restarts my pc from overheating
What do you mean under load?

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Ok my best advice at this point is to go buy some high quality thermal paste like IC Diamond, take off the GPU Cooler, clean the cooler, and clean off the old thermal paste. Reapply the new thermal paste, and see if that fixes it. Thermal paste can degrade and based on the age of this card its possible thats whats happened.

Feb 14, 2019
Idk
But the card was sagging a little inside my pc
So I decided to put something (a remote) under it to strut it and now I can clearly hear the fans where as before I didn't hear them until over clocking them

Feb 14, 2019
And the copper pipes...are they supposed to have liquid nitrogen in?
Coz if so mine doesn't
It's empty
Coz the pipes heats almost as fast as the board