Radeon HD 7970 or GTX 680?

stokesmellor

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
After X-mas times i think i will upgrade my radeon HD 6870 so i can play thr latest games at high fps (Watch dogs, Crysis 3 etc) But i am not sure what card to buy, considering i have loved AMD and i do want to stay loyal to them i would like a 7970 but after looking at some reviews i noticed that the gtx 680 is considerable better performance but does indeed cost more. I can not figure out what is better for me. What do you guys/girls think?
-Stokesmellor

You are so far away from that I think any recommendation today would be pretty irrelevant. There should be new cards from both camps by then.

At any rate, the better comparison if you were to buy today is between the 7970 and the 670 and the 670 is cheaper by ~$50. The 7970 beats the 670 in several benchmarks, but only in a couple by more than 3 or so FPS at 1080p (assuming that is your targer resolution - 7970 pulls ahead above that).

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
AMD will probably release the 8000 series by Christmas, so hold until then. I'm sure if nVidia releases the speculated GTX 685, it will be out by then. My point is, WAIT.

xtreme5

Distinguished
@bigmack70, look in this benchmark how does the GTX 680 brings down the HD 7970, in only crysis game the HD 7970 taken the lead and the rest of others owned by a GTX 680, have a look.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=555

xtreme5

Distinguished
@bigmack70, look in this benchmark how does the GTX 680 brings down the HD 7970, in only crysis game the HD 7970 taken the lead and the rest of others owned by a GTX 680, have a look.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=555

xtreme5

Distinguished
still not same, gtx 680 is better in both stock and OC, remember everyone don't want to plan to overclock most people love to running the card at stock speed so here 680 wins again.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Remember that the GTX 680 is GK104 while the GK110 is coming out later this year so you might want to wait for that information before you decide on anything seeing how those cards are going to be CRAZY!

Plus between that release and now the GK107 is coming out

GK 107 is 1.5 times faster than the GTX 680

lol I should note this

GK104 is the processor inside the GTX 680
GK107 is the processor that will be in the GTX 685 (Possibly)
GK110 is the next gen one and who knows now where and when we will see it!

jpardo2

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah you have a solid 5-6 months before you need to pull the trigger. Nvidia and AMD will both have some great offerings on both the 600 and possibly 700 series and the 8000 series, respectively. I purchased a 670 after trying a 680 and imo it's definately the same card, I tried several resolutions on Battlefield 3 all on maximum settings and the 670 was identical to the 680 performance wise. I am an nvidia fan, I tried the 7970 but returned it several days later, not because it couldn't perform, but rather the card is just so long that it was conflicting with other components in a HAF 932A case (which is a huge case). Other than the fact that the card was huge, it was still a great performer none the less. Each card has benefits, and each card has flaws. AMD still has the advantage of running 3 monitors off a single card, to some people that is just worth it's weight in gold.

But like everyone has said in this post, they will both have some great offerings in the not so distant future, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Case closed.

redeemer

Distinguished

You must be out of your mind I went from 7970's to SLI 680's now I am back to the 7970's. Reason better drivers and catalyst control panel is way better than Nvidia's. With the GTX 680 in SLI there were a lot of fps drops, the 7970's has a constant 120 fps most of the time in BF3

+1

The Crossfire scaling for 7970s is amazing at high resolutions, 90-95% gains in each game

:lol: was just kidding and being a ass i don't know how any them cards really preform other than by looking at benchmarks i still am using x2 560TI in SLI :cry:

redeemer

Distinguished

AMD has been on top for a very long time with their 6950 5970 and 6990 series of cards, this new generation is too early to tell. The 7970 and 680 trade blows, but the 600 series fails in compute. Currently AMD has a full range of 28nm parts and with Llano and Trinity I would say they are still very much in the top spot.

redeemer

Distinguished

Yeah these cards are just so close especially in dual configurations, Kepler uses less power but doesn't really run much cooler. I guess you shouldn't care since you got SLI 560's !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

redeemer

Distinguished

Dude I got both setups SLI 680 and Xfire 7970, The 6990 is too loud watercool it. Now the GTX 590 had us laughing when they burnt out remember that.

Where is Matto?

Now you tell me who would know better. How can I be a fanboy when I have both brands!

xtreme5

Distinguished
oh well, and when does the 6950,5970 and a 69000 became on the top i don't see haha! Are you kidding right ya, 580, and 590 are still on the top. The future upcoming cpu's of amd couldn't beat beat an the king 2500k, bigmack70, am i right hhahaha!! :D

That depends on what you consider to be "on top". The HD6000 series, especially the 6970, had amazing performance per watt and a very comfortable entry price. It's true that they didn't have anything to compete directly with the GTX 580 but the 580 had a power draw that made many users uncomfortable and was unaffordable for many others.

well it kinda does matter to me because i need to upgrade these poor things i have really abuse them badly lol but so far i just have not found a single card that will out preform them more than 30% percent on my budget 300.00 so i can't justify to myself it worth buying anything yet :??:

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I think you guys should calm down and ask a very logical question. stokesmellor, What is your target resolution? the gap between the 7970 and the 680 tends to close as the resolution increases.

Also, please mention the CPU you're using.

I add my voice to the guys saying that it's still too early to decide

*vomits* Good lord the fanboi'ism is thick. The cards are pretty close either way, 4-7% to me doesnt really equate to one kicking anothers ass. Both cards are great, but price for performance right now the 670 all the way and I have 2 7970s in xfire. AMD isnt going to release the 8000 this year, wtf did you come up with that? And also, the GK110 I believe has already been relased and are workstation cards. But feel free to feel cool and purchase one for gaming :) So much BS info in this thread. When will these threads stop seriously? They are asked multiple times a day and for how long now? Do a damn forum search, look at the benchmarks, here or 100 other sites.