Radeon HD 7990 Price Cut to $699 After Catalyst 13.8 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they didn't fix the whole shabang with the driver release like they promised, they'll make a concession and sell you less than functioning goods for an even better deal!

'Never Settle' or settle? Which is it?

Well I guess I'll go ahead and be the one who says something good.

That is a lot of GPU for the money with a lot of free games, if a guy was gonna watercool 1 it seems like it would be a pretty good investment for gaming.

bharatwd

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2012
I just picked up the sapphire 7990......for $680 from newegg........tried it with the new drivers which actually do fix the issues.......the price reduction is in response to the gtx780 n not to the issues it was previously having........anyways the 13.8 catalyst has resolved it and you can enjoy the games........to address noise and heat, go for a nice version of 7990 from sapphire or MSI..personally im buying sapphire since the 4870 and ive never been disappointed.........i have not calculated the price per $ performance but at 680$ for this baby, it will come pretty close.....especially at 2560x1600 with 4xaa........

9a3iqa

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
This is an amazing deal in all honesty. If I gamed at 1600p or used multiple monitors I would jump on this in a heartbeat.

G

every article forgets to mention that all other 7000 series cards are cut too. the 7970 GHZ can be had for under $400 and 7970 for $350. Paving the way for the HD 9970

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It is a good price but the drivers need to deal with microstuttering at resolutions like 5760x1080. This kind of card is meant for these resolutions, anything lower and low frames and stuttering aren't going to be that big of a deal anyway.

From what I have read this is just the first version of the driver. The next version is supposed to address Eyefinity setups.

I haven't messed with this driver yet since I am running Windows 8.1 with the preview driver and haven't run into any microstuttering anyways since I only do single GPU setups.

Still not a viable option in my opinion, yet I want to congratulate all the AMD fans. This is really a lot of bang for your buck and the crossfire fix are really a good step in the right direction for AMD. Competion on the market is good for us consumers.

Still not a viable option, not because the card is bad, and 13.8 beta has done wonders with the microstutter issue. HOWEVER, AMD's own 7970 (regular edition) can be had for $299 each after rebate on Newegg, making the 7990 still $100 more expensive even at $699.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Agree with comments of this card being considerable value. The free games definitely make the deal even sweater. If I had another multi-monitor setup I would get this.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
The article mentions that the 7990 will offer frame rates near the titan and 690 but am I not wrong when I've read on Tom's Hardware itself that the 7990 is hands down the most powerful card when not taking into concern other aspects that may alter the gaming experience? Micro stutter on this card will soon be irrelevant and it was one of the major criticisms, the price is now competing at the GTX 780 price range and it will annihilate the 780, and just to add insult to injury for nvidia, the gaming bundles that come with the 7990 are deeply superior to the nvidia bundles. Sure you have to take into the account the efficiency, heating and power usage issues but at the price it is at, I think the trade off for performance is well worth it.

great they fixed the microstutter, in some circumstances, with added cpu overhead and lower crossfire performance scaling. Still not worth the price. When they release their next gen cards with hopefully a hardware fix for frame metering, i will begin to consider AMD cards again.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Kinda confused, I saw benches that had two 760's in SLI being faster consistently then Titan, so why would this card offer frame rates near a titan?

Status
Not open for further replies.