Radeon HD4670

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I want to buy this.
I want to use the HDMI to connect it to my Samsung 40" 1080p TV.
My motherboard has the ATI Radeon HD 4200 onboard video which also has HDMI, but right now, with the onboard video, if I use the VGA connection the image is great, but if I use the HDMI connection the image is not as good, and even the fonts look a little blurred.
Why is this?

If I am using the onboard video with both connections shouldn't the HDMI look better?
My question is will the 4670 video card solve this problem?
Anyone out there is using a similar setup as mine?
I'm not gaming much right now, so I want to buy the video card only if it will make the image look better.
If HDMI will look blurred, I rather stay with the onboard video and use the VGA connection.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
When upgrading my brother-in-laws computer with a 4670, i had to work on it on my TV, as my wife wouldn't relinguish control of the PC (and its monitor). I found no difference between the VGA cable, and the HDMI as I was making sure that was working. I didn't spend much time with it hooked up HDMI as it was the last thing I had to do with it, but again, nothing caught my eye.

Perhaps it is an issue with the TV? Running VGA + separate sound may be an option to eliminate the issue, as you have different performanec between HDMI and VGA.

On the topic of price, I believe the card is worth $80, but you should be able to find it for cheaper with a bit of looking around. It is not rare to see one on sale, or with MIR, for less than $60.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
When upgrading my brother-in-laws computer with a 4670, i had to work on it on my TV, as my wife wouldn't relinguish control of the PC (and its monitor). I found no difference between the VGA cable, and the HDMI as I was making sure that was working. I didn't spend much time with it hooked up HDMI as it was the last thing I had to do with it, but again, nothing caught my eye.

Perhaps it is an issue with the TV? Running VGA + separate sound may be an option to eliminate the issue, as you have different performanec between HDMI and VGA.

On the topic of price, I believe the card is worth $80, but you should be able to find it for cheaper with a bit of looking around. It is not rare to see one on sale, or with MIR, for less than $60.

Solution

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Actually the difference between the HDMI and the VGA is not with the 4670, the difference is when I use the onboard video from the motherboard.

My question was if someone had the 4670 and if they had good luck hooking it up to a 40" HDTV without any problems.

I don't want to buy the 4670 if I'm going to keep getting the same problem as with the onboard video.

Assuming you are not doing any gaming, you can go a lot lower than a 4670. look at the 4650, 4550, and the 4350 instead. Since this is more a test to see if you can improve HDMI quality, there is no sense in buying a mid level graphics card for a task that a budget one should excel in.