Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I have a option of getting a Elsa GeForce256 32DDR
Or a 32DDR Radeon LE, I was looking to spend around $100 or so, which card is better right now?

Is the LE the one with no HyperZ?

<i>If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.</i>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
How can I tell the difference between the slower Radeons and the faster ones?

<i>If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.</i>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Go for the radeon Le. Price is great and its Fast. If you go into Regedit you can get the radeon LE to do hyperZ. So really the LE turns into a 32mb DDR. Go for the LE.

Leader of the Anti VIA-Nvidia Army

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Thanks man I appreciate it, while looking for the regedit trick you were talking about I stumbled across this

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/#987434154" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/#987434154</A>

Is this just a beefed up version of the Radeon or a new chip?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Look at the size of the heatsinks on this thing!!

<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/news.html#987533791" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/news.html#987533791</A>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're thinking of Radeon VE. Radeon LE is "Limited Edition" that will compete with nVidia's GeForce 2 Ultra cards, while the Radeon VE is the equivalent of the GeForce 2 MX budget line, which does not have HyperZ.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Now I'm confused I thought the VE was the dual head Radeon Card.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now I'm confused too. I read on an article (forgot the link) that ATI is releasing a "Limited Edition" Radeon that features an increased core and memory clock and 64 MB DDR RAM, but pricewatch.com lists the Radeon LE at costing only $72, which is obviously not a high performance card, but is a budget one... Maybe the "Limited Edition" Radeon will be called something else than LE (well, obviously), but that is what the article said... Strange...

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Okay I just looked it up, The stuff I posted the links to is the suped up Radeon SE.
LE is the cheapo version.
VE is the dual Head.

Makaveli

Splendid
All i have to say is what's more important to u
Image quality or pure speed? Radeon has much better image quality and Geforce is all speed. 16bit geforce owns Radeon
but 32bit things are more even if not better for the Radeon!
Would u rather play quake 3 @ 32bit with 70fps
or 16bit with 100fps. ie quake 3 is a bad example there are much better games out there!
I've owned both cards and prefer the radeon. I always say Quality over quantity!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Radeon vivo 64 meg full retail version with all the bells and whistles

Radeon 32 DDR full retail version minus the vivo

Radeon VE dual monitor edition stripped of its T&L engine and hiperz, more geared to a 2d apps card were two monitors are important.

Radeon LE ( light edition) Same as the radeon 32 meg ddr with a slighter slower clock speed and no fan. Generally used on OEM machines and sold in quantity on pricewatch. Actually value depends on the quality of memory used ( remember, most of these cards ati only supplied the chips and did not make the card. However, with a radeon tweaker utility, the memory, core clocks speeds can be increased and the hiperZ enabled. This card is considerably cheaper than the elsa 256 DDR and performs a litte slower on some test while performing better on others, plus it has hardare dvd support that just plain kills the Elsa.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

OK, let's get this straight.

Radeon VE = Radeon with video in video out capabilities.

Radeon LE = cut down competitor for MX. Also has dual head 'options', manufacturers can choose to implement this just like on the MX. Without dualhead the LE is just a budget card like the MX.

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
This is as confusing as the the whole P3 E, EB crap.

Radeon 64DDR Vivo
Radeon SE
Radeon LE
Radeon 32DDR
Radeon 32SDR
Radeon AIW
Radeon VE

I miss anyting?