Radeon Pro Goes Enterprise: Adrenalin Edition For Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'm also surpised. I'm using a Vega FE, a WX 7100, WX 5100 and the Quadro line-up from P6000 to P2000. In any cases the Radeon Pro cards are not worse but a lot cheaper. But it depends at the used software. In some fields I can't use AMD hardware ;)

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015

I'm guessing you are a pure gamer and as almost all the other gamers out there you utterly fail to understand anything else than gaming performance. So you may be right in that respect but as you simply mentioned Vega only I have remember you that Vega is not only gaming:
- there are plenty of tests on the Internet that shows it has a better efficiency for cryptocurrencies mining than Nvidia equivalent cards for the money
- and there is the amazing Vega FE for pro work that has a driver for gaming which has reasonable performance and this is something Nvidia does not have yet: you'll have to choose between either gaming either pro work so you can't have an all in one solution like the Vega FE.

Cheers

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

You hit the nail on the head my dude. Gaming and thermal performance are the metrics I'm most concerned about when I look at a video card. It's overall gaming efficiency is much lower than similarly priced Nvidia cards. This was disappointing because it came out nearly a year after the Nvidia's equivalent hardware was already on the market.

Regarding crypto currency mining, the Tomshardware review of Vega 64 shows that AMD cards have an advantage over Nvidia cards. However, Vega 64 was only incrementally faster than the Radeon R9 390X. There doesn't seem to be proportional performance increase between generations. When you consider the differences in fabrication techniques and advances in technology, this is also disappointing.

There is some merit to your post and I usually just let this stuff go, but you lead your post with "... you utterly fail to understand anything else than gaming performance..." That makes me seem like some sort of neanderthal. It really hurt my feelings. =(

Let's both agree to not begin our reply posts with military grade insults in the future. Thank you =)

"Ethereum Mining"

The Vega 64 does about 40 Megahashes a second using 230 watts for an effective 0.17 hashes per watt.

The Geforce 1080 does about 35 Megahashes a second using 140 watts for an effective 0.25 hashes per watt.

https://whattomine.com/

Besides heating your house better the AMD card has no advantage in mining.

Hashes per watt is king unless you get your power free.

At which point ... MINE BABY MINE.

The whattomine site assumes you configured your cards correctly, overclock / TDP limit.

Tom's actually reported the hash rate of the Vega 64 as lower than the Geforce 1080Ti

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64,5173-16.html

Which may have been when AMD was having that dag driver issue.

rich1051414

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
That's with stock bios. You can do 40 mHash/s on a power draw of 192 watts on Vega 64 if you undervolt it. If you are lucky, you can push that even further. Right now, Vega offers the most hashrate efficiency. You cannot look at the extremes and base your opinions on that. That is not realistic.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I thought the GeForce 1080's GDDR5X memory tripped up Ethereum mining. I've read that the 1080 Ti gets around this problem with it's wider bus width.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015

My apologies if my ankward phrasing sounded like a personal offense, it was not at all intended. Thats why I wasn't absolute in my affirmation and my sentence started with "_almost_ all gamers".

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.