News Radeon Pro W7000 GPUs Debut With up to 48GB VRAM, Triple-Slot Blowers

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Wow what a blow hard...

All joking aside its a trip watching the number of PCIe slots GPUs eat up grow. Man I miss those old single slot cards where you could jam in a ton of other AIB to upgrade your PC. Now your lucky to have a slot free on a modern mainstream board if your running a 3 slot GPU solution with so many mobos putting PCIe 5.0 m.2 slot above the first PCIe 16x slot due to PCIe 5.0 re-timers being 'so' expensive and the nvme drives run HOT thus vendors keeping the m.2 slots as close to the CPU as possible and out from under the GPU itself where ventilation is poor.

Last edited:

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Wow what a blow hard...

All joking aside its a trip watching the number of PCIe slots GPUs eat up grow. Man I miss those old single slot cards where you could jam in a ton of other AIB to upgrade your PC. Now your lucky to have a slot free on a modern mainstream board if your running a 3 slot GPU solution with so many mobos putting PCIe 5.0 m.2 slot above the first PCIe 16x slot due to PCIe 5.0 re-timers being 'so' expensive and the nvme drives run HOT thus vendors keeping the m.2 slots as close to the CPU as possible and out from under the GPU itself where ventilation is poor.
ISA Sound cards, AGP graphics.... yer making me nostalgic!

Reactions: atomicWAR
May 19, 2023
Doesn’t have 12,288 shaders… has 6,144 shaders that have dual-issue capabilities on -some- (see: FMA) instructions.

I’m hoping rDNA4 is much more flexible on its dual-issue capabilities, and will hopefully be much more exploitable by frustratingly dumb compilers.

Last edited: