Radeon ProRender rendering capabilities

Zhubinator

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hello. I am back again with my stupid questions. This time I wanna know if anyone here has ever used the Radeon ProRender rendering plugin in Maya to batch render any animations or projects. It seems like a very recent plugin for CPU and GPU rendering, and there's not much material on how to use it. There's some provided by AMD and the rest is just the user trying stuff to see how it performs. It's still a work in progress but for what it's worth, it's pretty good value, GPU rendering for free versus Vray's expensive licensing and headache of an interface! But I like to know if anyone has ever used it on an AMD or Nvidia card to do anything decent and how well it handled the project. I look forward to reading your answers.

memphis_212

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Forgive me first of all as I am new to this sort of thing completely.

I have done some research, and for what it's worth I have noticed the following as I had the same idea that combined CPU/GPU rendering would save time and money.

That being said I found the power consumed from the CPU for as little as it does actually is a complete waste IMO, correct me if I am wrong.

I noticed if you need to get things done faster and are being paid good, then by all means do it if you wish.

For the most of the real users unlike myself tbh, this power consumed saves around 7s to 1min of your time rendering and costs more in power than cuda would.

Adding more cuda cores would be better than trying to combined a CPU in the mix from what I have seen.

Again tho, I am basically an idiot at the moment and going based on what I see/hear to save time and will learn a bit latter from real world tinkering and reading.

So by all means expect I am wrong and continue research.

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018

■ hell no, it's a good question, I don't like pre build material, manually editing library is more versatile especially on game engine development.
    ■ works on GTX 780ti, so should work on any CUDA graphic card.
    ■ sorry we couldn't disclose how it perform, all I can tell is worth to study, learning curve isn't that steep if you have played with luxrender, I'm a script kiddie myself, you should be fine because personally I bet RPR will have greater support than luxrender.
https://gpuopen.com