Radeon R5 M430 vs Intel HD 620

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi, I'd like some advice please.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Gaming is not my priority, but playing Tell Tale adventures or old school RPGs would be nice. I don't need a good GPU and don't have a huge budget.

I am aiming for either an intel i7-6500u or i7-7500u. Not sure yet. But the main question is whether I should go for a Radeon GPU - the R5 M430 or integrated graphics, the HD 620.

I am reasonably well informed - I'm aware dedicated graphics enjoy their own Ram and are traditionally more powerful than integrated graphics. However, from what I have researched, the R5 M430 is a year older than the 620 and I am struggling to find out which would achieve the best frame rates.

I'm aware neither will make the earth move, but am interested to know which people think would be able to achieve the best frame rates. Please assume the PC spec for each is the same.

Many thanks!
Matt

Solution

Well, consider that 10% of 20 is 2...

Not constructive. The OP and everyone in this thread is aware of this.

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Sorry, shorthand way of me explaining that the laptop will not be my games machine - that's upstairs and this will be for travelling for work - but I would like to play the occasional round of Civ V or Baldur's Gate etc. I'm not going to shell out for something expensive with a powerful GPU on that basis - but saying that, in a straight choice between two cheap entry level graphics options, I'd obviously like to go for the best.

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Thank you - that's helpful.

zaarin_2003

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Another reply stated the Radeon might achieve 10% performance over the integrated. Its not a great deal of course. I'm interested in your statement, "A dedicated graphics solution is worth it if it provides you with clear performance gain..." This implies a dedicated GPU comes with some drawbacks which are only worthwhile if the performance gain is significant. Is that the case? Heat/weight, something like that? Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

Just because it is a dedicated GPU does not automatically mean it is 'better'.
As mentioned that GPU is pretty low end.

Well, consider that 10% of 20 is 2. If you were getting 20fps with integrated graphics, and you could improve that to 22fps by spending a bit of money on a low end videocard, is that 'worth it'? I'd say no. Technically, yes one is faster than the other, but as a practical matter they're both the same. What is it you are gaining there? I don't see it.

Solution

danilogabo

Prominent
May 15, 2017
Help Please, I do not what I should buy:
Lenovo Flex 4 14" FHD 2-in-1 Touch-Screen Premium Flagship Laptop, Intel Core i7-7500U up to 3.5GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Radeon R5 M430, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Webcam, USB 3.0, Windows 10

Or

Dell - Inspiron 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive - Gray. INTED 620 HD

I am not priority gamer, but plating some games will be excelente

Please help me.