Radeon R9 280X Can Be Paired with Radeon HD 7970 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
This was already mentioned in the review. Jane, do you just regurgitate the information that is already posted on this site?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-2.html

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Reading comprehension is so difficult for some and apparently the rest can't seem to be bothered to read the article in its entirety :pt1cable:.

Considering that its the same GPU, I don't think AMD did much.

Its a nice feature but still I think what everyone wants is a real review of the actual new hardware. I know I do. Along with a price please.

And that Toxic is nothing to really look at:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1483&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

That was a Toxic edition. 6GB VRAM and the ability to boost to 1200MHz. It also used the much better Vapor-X design (check a Vapor-X vs Dual-X Sapphire GPU and the Vapor-X can clock higher and runs cooler).

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
Sweet runing an 7770 on 1366x768 with no desire to go above 1080p, i think i will get a HD 7950 in november and then a 280X next year when the price comes down.

that way i will get the best of both worlds (mature drivers for the 7950 new tech for the 280x)

Two year old. Four years ago there was the HD5870 which was VLIW5 technology.

Honestly you are probably bottlenecking that GPU. And for now 1080 is fine. But soon 1080 will become a bottleneck and there will be better resolutions for less that GPUs can handle.

But the 7770 can run most games decently at 1080.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
bios flash shouldn't be necessary FYI

and i don't understand why they got heat for it. did they not drop the price? isn't it good to see high end cards becoming mid-end year after year? or do they expect a 300000% increase in performance from on lifetime to the next? have some real expectations people. there is nothign wrong with rebranding, as long as there is some benefit to it

Can it be done without a BIOS flash?

AMD's crossfire has not worked properly out of the box since day 1. It has recently improved, but still doesn't work properly in many scenario's. Nvidia cards do work properly out of the box for everything they are advertised to do.
bios flash doesn't void warranty, only if you brick the card by doing it.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Why do you people even bother owning amd cards? Nvidia GPU's run cooler, quieter, use less energy for same performance or equal energy for more performance, they have better drivers. Prices are not very much different yes nvidia is a bit more expensive but as the saying goes you get what u pay for. GTX 760 is the best value 1080p gaming card the gtx 770 is the best 1080p gaming card if u want to max out every single game without question and the GTX 780 is the best 1440p gaming card The gtx 650ti is the best 720p gaming card.

Does anyone else notice this trend. In cpu's amd cannot offer the best performance same as gpu's. Intel beats them, Nvidia beats them. The titan has been out for 8 months!!!!! Yet amd STILL cannot beat its performance. AMD is known for just giving up on the elite high end because they just do not have the skill to compete, whether its CPU's or GPU's the story is the same.

AMD's only hope is that now that all 3 consoles are based on amd gpu's that maybe games will be better optimized for amd gpu's which helps them narrow the performance gap.

And btw I'm not a fanboy at all I actually built an amd phenom II x6 1100t + radeon 5870 like 2.5-3 years ago somewhere in there. Back then tho nvidia's gpu's were super power hungry and hot as all hell and the radeon gpu's price was too good to turn down. Situation is different now. If I could do it over I'd buy an intel mobo and intel chip tho. the 100t at 4.1ghz on 6 cores isn't terrible in performance but i'd rather have the better single threaded performance now that i look back.

yawa77

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
The R9 280X is essentially a rebadged 7970 GHZ Edition. The author Crossfired the R9 280X with a 7970 GHZ Edition Card. So this work with a standard 7970 as well or only the GHZ Edition models?

Status
Not open for further replies.