Radeon R9 280X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770... or a better suggestion?

qcksilver

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I currently have a HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1350.
Everything in it is stock, except I have replaced the small SSD that was being used as a caching drive with a bigger SSD and installed the OS (windows 8.1) on it.
Click here for the specs

It came with a AMD Radeon HD 7670 which is just a rebranded Radeon HD 6670, at least according to this site

It is a decent card but I've had some frustrating problems with it, I think mainly having to do with HP's lack of updating the driver frequently enough. They still have not put out a new driver after the windows 8.1 update, and I have had a bunch more problems with it lately. Because it is an OEM card, I cannot use any of AMDs updates.

I've been looking at upgrading to either Radeon R9 280X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770. RIght now Im leaning towards the GeForce because of the black friday game bundle deal that come with it on Newegg right now. See the deal here.

My questions are:
1) Will I see any significant performance improvements upgrading to either of those cards?

2) Any better recommendations?

3) I'm pretty sure my comp can handle these cards, but just to be sure... It can handle both those cards right?

4) I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different brands/versions of those cards that are available, any advice on how to pick a specific card?
Radeon R9 280X cards at Newegg and GTX 770 cards

Thanks in advance!
-Will

Solution

No no you cant upgrade graphics cards RAM like system RAM its soldered to the PCB. What ever GPU you buy always use the latest drivers for your graphics card to...

qcksilver

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I was looking at that one. This GTX 770 is going for $279 (after rebate) with 3 free games is looking pretty good though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127751

It only has 2gb memory compared to the R9 280x which has 3gb. Many of the other specs on the GTX 770 are slightly better though. How much of a difference will that extra 1gb of RAM make? Can you add more RAM to a graphics card later?

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

No no you cant upgrade graphics cards RAM like system RAM its soldered to the PCB. What ever GPU you buy always use the latest drivers for your graphics card to ensure maximum performance and game compatibility.

Solution