Radeon R9 290X Accidentally Priced at Online Retailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Who cares about AMDs pricing if this thing performs like a beast, like I've said before AMD needs to make cards priced similar to nVidia and AS good or perhaps better, only after that can they start undercutting nVidia for competitive products, their whole motto right now is "make subpar products for cheaper"

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
If true, then this needs to be noticeably faster than the Titan in order to not be a fail.

This was AMD's chance to really slam Nvidia by releasing a card as fast as, if not faster than, the 780, for $100 less. Oh well.

this is misleading, for 2 reasons

1. the source of the 'newegg price' is extracted from html code, thus not anywhere near as final as the article makes it sound

2. this $729 price is for the pre-order Battlefield 4 bundle, and GUARANTEES release day shipping for the GPU. BF4 costs $60 by itself, and day-one shipping may come at a premium.

Again, I'm not saying that the new card will cost $599, just saying that the article is a bit misleading

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Argh, $500 would be a perfect ceiling for top-end cards. IMO, past $500-600, CF / SLI will always be a better value, especially now with AMD really making improvements on their frame-pacing (I've noticed smoother play with my CF 5850s since 13.8 beta).

Here's to hoping r9-280x still comes in at $300 with a copy of BF4. If so, I might actually be able to talk my wife into not being completely pissed if I upgrade.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I don't see why everyone is saying how this is going to be a fail or whatnot. It is supposed to compete with the titan in terms of power and it is 30% cheaper. What else could you want?

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

are you serious? they have been competing with nvidia at the top for a long time now, its only been for the last few months with nvidias refresh that they havent had the best performing card. What cards exactly have been subpar?

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
The R9 290x is going up against the Titan which is $1000, this undercuts it by $300... How is it a bad deal? I don't get why people keep comparing it to the 780.

The upward creep in price that began with the GTX 680 continues - let's hope this card does have the muscle to compete against Titan, a $1000 card. Anything we say currently is mere speculation.

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
now I have seen benchmarks before and I am not the type of person to spend that much on a gpu. However this card is be shown off as a Titan comparable card and if that is true. I don't think price really matters. People in the high end market are not looking for price to performance they are look for performance. So what the R9 290X need to do is beat the Titan or 780 and it will sell.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

NV will sell well because they have drivers that work correctly. Why do you think AMD gives away all the games? It's not because they like you, they have to! Most would rather buy NV and forget the games knowing they are having less driver issues (currently?). NV owns 65% of the discrete market for a reason (and it certainly isn't their free games included with each card).

BAD drivers=BAD PR. It's not rocket science. Queue typical NV haters...LOL. It sucks AMD people, but these are the facts of life for AMD owners for 2yrs and still waiting for last gen to get ironed out even as they're about to release a new gen while claiming their cards are tops for multicard pc's etc. NV couldn't launch an "AMD DRIVER SUCKS" campaign if they were problem free already. You can call it dirty, underhanded etc, but if the shoe fits...

lp231

Splendid

Because not everyone have $700 in pocket change to spend on a card. Do you have $700 to spend this card? I know I don't and probably others in here as well. High end cards like the ATi 9700 Pro, the fastest and best card of its days top out at $300, but that was eons ago. Now the prices are so high, it's getting ridiculous. AMD might was well just sell the card at $1500 or even $5000 and people will still buy it. :ange:

shinkueagle

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
@ hapkido - Lol! I know what you mean! If I bought a $700+ card, it will cost me a testicle and a half! As my wife would probably put them in a blender and make me watch them blend!!! I guess $300-400 would be the threshold! =)

So what you mean to say here is that when it comes to multi-GPU setups, AMDs drivers are not that great. Because last time I checked, the HD7970 easily performs the same as or better in a few games as the GTX770. And for the multi-GPU its mostly frame pacing issues, which until recently was not something that was considered a major issue.

As a single GPU, the HD7970 is a great GPU. All of AMDs 7000 series are. It easily kept up with and then with newer drivers beat the newer GTX680.

As for the R9 series, since it is a new card not set to come out for a while we don't have any drivers or real reviews to tell us how these cards will perform. The current drivers have improved frame pacing for AMD a lot and I am willing to bet the next set of drivers, which will support the new GPUs, will also fix multi-GPU setups.

That said, I think the pricing is a bit high if true. It doesn't show any real competition as Titan was a one time thing. But since AMD is showing it is willing to go to that level I am sure the next top end GPU from them will be $1K when it beats the R9 series.

Honestly I am hating these price increases. CPUs get cheaper for more power but GPUs keep going up. I remember spending $300 on a 9700 Pro as well and also for my 9800 XT, which reminds me just because a GPU comes with free games it does not mean its a bad card. The 9800 XT came with a free copy of HL2 and was still the best card of its era. The HD7970 had the free games even when it was beating the GTX680.

Status
Not open for further replies.