Radeon R9 295X2 In CrossFire: 25 Billion Transistors Game At 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always said it, more than two cards takes too much resources to manage. Drivers are not there either. You are getting better results with simple Crossfire. Still, the way AMD corner Nvidia as the sole maker able to push 4k right now is amazing.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I personally don't think we'll see a day that 3+ GPU setups become even a tiny bit economical.

For that to happen, IMO, the time from one GPU release to the next would have to be so long that users needed more than 2x high end GPUs to handle games in the mean time.

As it is, there's really no gaming setup that can't be reasonably managed by a pair of high end graphics cards (Crysis back in 2007 is the only example I can think of when that wasn't the case). 3 or 4 cards will always just be for people chasing crazy benchmark scores.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I am not a great fan of mantle because of the low number of games that use it and its specificity to GCN hardware, but this would have been one of the best case scenarios for testing it with BF4.

I cant believe the reviewer just shrugged of the fact that the games obviously look cpu limited by just saying "well, we had the fastest cpu you can get" when they could have used mantle in BF4 to lessen cpu usage.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
How does a dual dual-GPU setup even operate under Crossfire? As I understand it the two GPUs on each board are essentially operating in Crossfire already, so is there then a second Crossfire layer combining the two cards on top of that, or has AMD tweaked Crossfire to be able to manage them as four separate GPUs? Either way it seems like a nightmare to manage, and not even close to being worth the $3,000 price tag, especially when I'm not really convinced that even a single of those $1,500 cards is really worth it to begin with; drool worthy, but even if I had a ton of disposable income I couldn't picture myself ever buying one.

EricJohn2004

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I don't see how AMD cornered Nvidia at all. The 780Ti is still the fastest single GPU you can get, and if you put them both is crossfire/sli, they are about even. Are you talking about the fast that AMD cards have more memory than Nvidia? You can always get Nvidia cards with more memory if you want to.

But to say one company has another one cornered is a bit bias. Not a bit, just straight up bias. I like both companys, they are both doing great IMO.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm curious as to the type of loads both the CPU and RAM are seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting to the point where the bottleneck is elsewhere. I'm guessing that the GPUs are just overpowering everything else and are starving, hence the wild numbers. It also looks the driver is a beta driver, there's a lot of tuning to be done there.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Regarding the possibility of software issues; it'd be nice to see a retrospective article that looks to see if that's the case. I'd definitely be interested to know if the stability is improved after a few new driver versions to see if that's the problem, or if the hardware (or concept) is truly at fault.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
This has and will always be an issue with 3-way and 4-Way SLI or Crossfire. Nvidia and AMD both have extremely low support for this. Just spend the money on 2 cards and watercool/overclock them vs adding a 3rd or 4th card into the mix.

After my last burn with SLI GTX295s, I will never go back to QuadSLI. I am still having an issue leaving my SLI GTX680s @ 1300MHzcore / 7Ghz Ram setup. Then again i am still at 1080p like 99% of the gamers.

4K isn't ready until refresh rate is bumped up 60Hz- 120Hz and better HDMI standards.

seems like there was/were bottleneck/s. either in software or in hardware. i wasn't expecting much performance improvement, but didn't expect regressions.

i woulda liked to see mantle benches for bf4 and thief if mantle was lessening any performance-limiting cpu bottleneck. mantle would be perfect for showcasing it's potential in scenarios like high end quad gpu cfx. if amd haven't added such support in mantle... they're going against their propaganda of eliminating cpu/platform bottlenecks and supporting multicore cpus and multiple gpus.

edit: can that ibuypower test rig play crysis 3... in 4k?

I don't see how AMD cornered Nvidia at all. The 780Ti is still the fastest single GPU you can get, and if you put them both is crossfire/sli, they are about even. Are you talking about the fast that AMD cards have more memory than Nvidia? You can always get Nvidia cards with more memory if you want to.

But to say one company has another one cornered is a bit bias. Not a bit, just straight up bias. I like both companys, they are both doing great IMO.

The 780 TI is a good single card, but there is no point of putting them in SLI. Why? Because one is enough for 1440p, but they choke at 4k while AMD is offering a 125$ cheaper card offering better results at UHD. For that reason, the 780 TI is having no use in a SLI configuration. Also, I would even recommend two 770 GTX in SLI over a TI for 1440p.

On the other hand, a pair of 290x with good custom HSF make sense. The benchs are there to prove it.

This has and will always be an issue with 3-way and 4-Way SLI or Crossfire. Nvidia and AMD both have extremely low support for this. Just spend the money on 2 cards and watercool/overclock them vs adding a 3rd or 4th card into the mix.

After my last burn with SLI GTX295s, I will never go back to QuadSLI. I am still having an issue leaving my SLI GTX680s @ 1300MHzcore / 7Ghz Ram setup. Then again i am still at 1080p like 99% of the gamers.

4K isn't ready until refresh rate is bumped up 60Hz- 120Hz and better HDMI standards.

Display Port... it's already on your graphic card and provide 4k @ 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.