Question Radeon R9 Fury Artifacting (I Think)

Jul 10, 2021
Firstly, I'll start by describing the issue, and linking a video (that I recorded) displaying the issue. So, (I was gifted this computer second hand, but worked fine for about a month without issue) out of nowhere, I turn my PC on, to discover a mass of "jumping" pixels, darting across my screen. I was told by a friend that it could be AMD's driver's, so I waited a long while (probably like 5 months) until I tested it again, with updated drivers, still had the issue.

Link:
View: https://youtu.be/rzsBMe_634U

I'll list my known specs (which are heavily outdated):

CPU: AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake NIC C5
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 Ares 2400MHz 16GB (2x8)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury (Non-X // Non-Nitro)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 6502 80+ Bronze

At this point, I don't know if it's some form of overheating, or a messed up GPU, but I'll take any ideas. I tried swapping pic-e slots to no avail. Not entirely sure if I am missing anything, but if any additional information is needed, I implore you to mention it. Thank you very much, and I appreciate the help.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Have you ever cleaned it or changed the thermal paste?

I have not, honestly that never even crossed my mind. I'll give it a shot, in the morning and post a reply, letting you know if it worked or not.

Oh yeah, these gpus are hbm. Ive read those are pretty temperature sensitive.

you said that it was gifted to you, someone might have replaced the thermal paste without applying any on the memory chips… but in that case it might have already sustained damage…

Jul 10, 2021
Oh yeah, these gpus are hbm. Ive read those are pretty temperature sensitive.

you said that it was gifted to you, someone might have replaced the thermal paste without applying any on the memory chips… but in that case it might have already sustained damage…
So, the issue did not occur in safe mode, I'm not too experienced when it comes to this stuff, does this mean that it is not the thermal paste, or could that still potentially be the issue?

Reactions: spentshells

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
The issue not appearing in safe mode is a pretty good sign.

You can try doing a clean install of the drivers and uninstalling overclocking software such as afterburner if present.

a good guide for a clean install could be found here.

also not a bad idea to replace the thermal paste for good measure, there are a lot of tutorials in youtube.

Jul 10, 2021
Unfortunately, the second the drivers were re-installed the problem arose yet again.

Edit: although I did just notice something. one of the golden bars (don't know the proper name) on the pci-e of the gpu is darkened, and doesn't have a tip:

C1yjI5n.jpg

Last edited:

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Have you tried checking the thermal paste?
if yes, then that gpu is dead. Shame…

but it is strange though. You say that the artifacts do not occur in safe mode, which generally points to a software issue. You’re absolutely sure no overclocking software such as sapphire trixx or msi afterburner is installed? Amd wattman in default settings?

Jul 10, 2021
Have you tried checking the thermal paste?
if yes, then that gpu is dead. Shame…

but it is strange though. You say that the artifacts do not occur in safe mode, which generally points to a software issue. You’re absolutely sure no overclocking software such as sapphire trixx or msi afterburner is installed? Amd wattman in default settings?
Honestly, the only software installed, is the AMD Adrenaline, too my knowledge, unless it's overclocked in the BIOS somehow, other than that, the hard drive is completely empty, its a completely wiped hard drive. but ill have a look around and see what I can find.

Edit: I'll have to buy a smaller screw driver to check the thermal paste, cuz I don't have a phillip's head screwdriver that is small enough the check the thermal paste.

Jul 10, 2021
Also, something to note. I may have been incorrect about the drivers installing. Because I double-checked and went to install them again (just to be sure that they did, and that it wasn't user-error), and I was met with this message in the Installer after a few seconds: "Error 195 - AMD Installer cannot continue because it is unable to access the required we sources." So, I clicked on the "Get More Details" button, and it suggested disabling the firewall, so I disabled the windows firewall for "Public Networks", and was still met with the message. It also suggested, disabling antivirus, so i disabled the "Real-time Protection" to no avail. If I am doing something incorrectly, i.e. disabling the wrong thing, let me know, and I'll give any suggestions a shot, and report back with information.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Oof, i though i replied to this thread earlier…

error 195… are you using the autodetect driver installer? Go here and manually input your gpu to download the actual drivers. Don’t forget to use DDU first for a clean uninstall before reinstalling.

if it still doesn’t work then gpu is dead… but as i said earlier; if you claim it doesn’t occur in safe mode, it usually points to a software issue.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Actually the safe mode uses basic drivers that don't boost the clocks so it seems that the card is faulty.

hmm, i overlooked that. But it’s because i previously had a bad gpu that was artifact-ing even in safe mode. Plus was assuming some form of overclocking had been applied either through afterburner or wattman without op knowing as he got it used.

there is also the possibility of the bios being modded by its previous owner, causing the artifacts…

but, really a shame if that gpu is indeed bad. It was the first attempt at hbm on a gpu. First implementation of hbm if my knowledge is correct… i have a liking for unique tech, a working example would be a nice artifact to keep, no pun intended.