Question Radeon RX 480 8gb driver problems (stuttering and freezing) ?

whisp96

Commendable
May 8, 2021
-----------------------setup:

RAM: PNY 16 gb (2x8) ddr3

Graphics card 1: Radeon RX 480 8 gb

Graphics card 2: Radeon R9 270x 2 gb

Power supply: Vampire 700w 80 plus gold

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8350 eight core 4.0 ghz

SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 1 tb

HDD 1: HGST 4 tb 7200 rpm

HDD 2: WDC 1tb 7200 rpm(old windows drive)

display1: Pixio PX278 27" WQHD (using display port)

display 2: acer g237hl (using HDMI port)

--------------------Drivers I have tried (note: both graphics cards I have installed have both been downloading the same drivers):

windows basic display adapter driver (wouldn't run this long as windows will automatically install Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.2)

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.2 Optional (crashes the driver and have to hard reset)

Adrenalin 21.5.1 Optional (bad stuttering across all applications)

Adrenalin 18.3.1 Optional (bad stuttering across all applications and turns black but comes back on after waiting a few seconds)

Crimson ReLive Edition 17.6.2 Optional (I don't know exactly which version but I started out with a version of crimson)

---------------------The story so far:
This all started when switching out my pc case. Before, I was only running my rx 480 and was running windows on my hdd. After I made the switch into the new case(and putting the new ssd and old graphics card in, which were not in the old case), my rx 480 was at a constant 75-80 c temperature at idle, and most applications would cause the display to stutter. First thing I tried was unplugging the secondary graphics, which made no difference. Second thing was re-applying thermal paste, which took care of the temperature getting to really high levels (would sometimes get to 90 c under stress). At this point, the stuttering had not gone away, so I installed MSI afterburner and updated to newer drivers (went from some version of Crimson ReLive to Adrenalin 21.5.1 Optional). The stuttering still happened, and after using MSI afterburner and playing around with the power limit and fan settings, nothing stopped the stuttering. I then tried using DDU(display driver uninstaller) to uninstall my drivers and have windows automatically install drivers. Windows uses Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.2 for my pc.

2020 Relive is the driver that causes the rx 480 to freeze my displays which forces me to hard reset. Other times, the displays will turn black and after a few seconds, will come back on. Right now I have the rx 480 unplugged and the r9 270x doing everything(the 270x hasn't given me any problems with any of the drivers). The rx 480 is able to reach its overclock of 1266mhz core and 2000 mhz of memory speed and hits a max of like 115 watts. Under Adrenalin 21.4.1 (notice the 4), the watts are throttles at like 65 watts when using the amd adrenalin software (instead of msi afterburner)

I'm pretty sure that my rx 480 is the problem, since it was running fine before the case switch. I'm thinking when I moved everything, something with the drivers or the BIOS messed up the rx 480. Most forums I have tried so many things, even uninstalling xbox software that comes with windows (xbox game bar, xbox live, windows store, etc), but nothing has worked.

If anybody has any ideas or wants to know more, please let me know. I have gpuz and latmon as well.

Update 1:

I have removed the r9 270x and reinstalled adrenalin 18.50.26 to the rx 480. I now get the bsod "kernel security check failure" periodically.

Last edited:

whisp96

Commendable
May 8, 2021
I see zero reason why the R9 270X needs/needed to be in this system...

Could be that having both GPUs on the 12V2 rail (312W limit) may have caused an issue?
I am running other crappy acer monitor on the r9, and i thought it was the wattage as well, but even when the rx 480 is by itself (r9 unplugged) the same issues occur.

whisp96

Commendable
May 8, 2021
I see zero reason why the R9 270X needs/needed to be in this system...

Could be that having both GPUs on the 12V2 rail (312W limit) may have caused an issue?
I have removed the r9 270x and reinstalled adrenalin 18.50.26 to the rx 480. I now get the bsod "kernel security check failure" periodically.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Have you tried to update your bios and/or reset it by clearing the cmos? But yeah having two gpus usually bring out more headaches than benefits to be honest. I would just stick with either (preferabily the 480 since it's a better card).

whisp96

Commendable
May 8, 2021
Have you tried to update your bios and/or reset it by clearing the cmos? But yeah having two gpus usually bring out more headaches than benefits to be honest. I would just stick with either (preferabily the 480 since it's a better card).
I haven't tried either of those yet, I ended up re-cloning my new ssd to get the old drivers back how they were. So far, no crashes, and the stuttering is more or less gone. I'm still looking at other forums to find a way where i can safely have a newer version of adrenaline (right now i'm running 19.4.1) as the older radeon settings app tends to go in not responding mode and my corsair wireless headphones don't like the old audio drivers.

That said, those problems are much better to deal with than my pc constantly crashing lol

Apr 28, 2022
I have the same problem, but I just upgrade de adrenalin and my rx 480 8gb crash.

Now, I need to use DDU every week for my RX 480 started..

Did You manage to solve the problem?

Ty

TRENDING THREADS