Radeon Rx 550 GPU overheating

noclue00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018
Basically everything was fine until probably a week ago when i started to get low fps on rainbow six siege and it started to be unplayable.I then started to watch my GPU temperature like a hawk. My Idle GPU temp is 70c and gets to 93c in 10 mins of playing any game and then starts to throttle. My case is dust free and so is the gpu and heatsink. I have scanned with Malawarebyte and Bitdefender and found nothing. The weird part is the inside of the case is actually pretty cool and the cpu temperature is 20c idle and 40c when underload. My Radeon RX 550 is a few months old so i dont know what the problem is.

MY SPECS:
GPU: Radeon RX 550
CPU: AMD FX 8310 Eight-Core Processor
Cooling: PSU fan, heatsink and fan in the back blowing air out

Give more information if needed

Solution

Then I would have to admit defeat and assume the gfx card went bad. Maybe the power limit quit working, or the core/memory voltage went sky-high. Can't think of anything else to check.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
70C idle is way high for that card. I doubt it is a fan problem. Most 0 decibel cards' fans don't even turn on until 60C. I wonder if the heat sink is loose. Or something clogging the fins. It's way too early for the thermal paste to be an issue.

Same temp if the case is left open? What are your ambient temps where you live?

noclue00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018

The temperature stays the same with the case open and my room temperature is warm but not too hot during the day and gets pretty chilly during night

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I guess the next step is to take it apart. Remove the shroud and check the heat sink for being secure. If good remove it and check to see if the TIM had even spreading and was making good contact. You'll want to clean the surfaces and replace the TIM after that*.

* Or if the old TIM is still adequate, spread it around a bit with a plastic baggie over your finger (both surfaces), and then reassemble.

noclue00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018

I currently cant get thermal paste right now since its pretty late but if the thermal paste was still adequate is it safe to reuse it or should i wait until i can get thermal paste from the store?

I changed the thermal paste and made sure there wasn't any dust in the gpu either. The temperature is still idling at 66c and when i start up a game like Rainbow six it starts to reach 93c in 10 mins.

noclue00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018

It usually stays at 0% or 1% but it can spike up to 3 when idle

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Was the temp in the high range even then (66C)?

noclue00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018

What do you mean by that?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When Taskmanager showed the GPU was at 1% - 3% usage, was the GPU temp still 66C or there about? I'm trying to determine if it is an all the time thing or just off and on. There are Mining Viruses out there that take control of your GPU to do mining for the unscrupulous.

noclue00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018

Task manager still says the GPU is at 1%-3% and the temperature is still idling at around 66-70 c

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I would run a full virus scan followed by a MalwareBytes scan to be sure you aren't infected by one of those Mining Viruses.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Then I would have to admit defeat and assume the gfx card went bad. Maybe the power limit quit working, or the core/memory voltage went sky-high. Can't think of anything else to check.

Solution