News Radeon RX 5600 XT Gets Modified With 12GB of VRAM

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
Is replacing with larger ram really usefull? It would be more usefull if you where able to upgrade existing cards with "gimped" memory bandwidth and thus unlocking it's extra performance.

12GB vs 8GB is'nt going to cut it. The GPU itself likely not powerfull enough to fully use it.

Apr 1, 2020
I remember back when VGA cards had slots you could add additional RAM chips into (remember the S3 Virge DX?). If nVidia is going to be greedy as heck, why not make cards with a memory expansion slot and sell an 8GB upgrade kit...

I remember back when VGA cards had slots you could add additional RAM chips into (remember the S3 Virge DX?). If nVidia is going to be greedy as heck, why not make cards with a memory expansion slot and sell an 8GB upgrade kit...
The current design of GPU memory controllers means that if you want to add memory to the video card (those cards you speak only add memory to the card, they don't replace what it came with), you would have to design the GPU with memory controllers that aren't doing anything. And then you'd have to design an interface to go with it. It'd simply be cheaper just to add the chip than it is to create an interface around it if the goal is to save money or something (i.e., ship with less VRAM and let the user add more)

The alternative is to do segmented memory (a la the GTX 970 or GTX 660) and nobody wants to do that given how much bad PR this generates now.

Last edited:

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Ironically, I said this same comment bis per bi, in a news youtube video that mentioned the first Nvidia mod.

Even capitalization. Which makes this weird.

Reactions: Order 66

Tonet666

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
" he prepped the PCB for the new 2GB modules with a special glue that will keep the modules in place "
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: AMTECH flux now is a "special glue" ? Is this for real or a joke?