[SOLVED] Radeon RX 570 bottlenecked by my Ryzen 5 2600, upgrade my 720p monitor or get a new GPU?

Apr 17, 2021
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to look at my post, title... pretty much says it all.
I made a budget PC that costs just over a grand and found myself with a GPU Bottleneck after I replaced my old Hardrive with a new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda SSD. For whatever reason, I had absolutely no issues with the PC aside from the old Hardrive being slow... The moment I got the SSD the bottleneck started happening. I have to overclock my GPU to run low quality games like Roblox, and high end games like Battlefield 1 are out of the question, frames suck and the game is constantly janky with my cursor moreso twitching around the screen than gliding. I heard upgrading my monitor could remedy the issue but I thought It'd be best to ask before buying anything.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks folks!

Just in case it matters I have other stats here for my setup:
16GBs of RAM
B450M DS3H Motherboard
Elite 400W - V3 PSU

Solution
Alot of those driver update things have adware and/or bloatware and/or malware loaded into them. Best to avoid all those third party things ... get driver updates from manufacturer website, or just use MS Windows update should be fine.

I concur you should have no problem playing games .. I have a RX 580 which is only slightly newer than yours, plays games very well. I actually set limits on the frame rate to reduce my pc's power draw.

Yes I think wipe your SSD and reinstall from scratch if it isn't going to cause you too much pain. Don't put that driver updater thing on though!!

Another thought is that your power supply is a little on the small side ... the RX 570 can draw up to 200W just by itself. Review on here....

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Bottleneck or not the Rx 570 with a 2600 should be able to play Battlefield 1 at 100-120fps at 1080p so there is something else going on here. Also, contrary to what you may have heard a monitor upgrade (if by upgrade you mean resolution) will increase the GPU & CPU load so you would actually get worse frame rates. When you swapped your HDD for the SSD did you do a clean install of windows?

Reactions: Greivbo
Apr 17, 2021
Bottleneck or not the Rx 570 with a 2600 should be able to play Battlefield 1 at 100-120fps at 1080p so there is something else going on here. Also, contrary to what you may have heard a monitor upgrade (if by upgrade you mean resolution) will increase the GPU & CPU load so you would actually get worse frame rates. When you swapped your HDD for the SSD did you do a clean install of windows?

I believe I did but ultimately I'm not sure. I downloaded the OS off the internet, put it into my SSD and when I started it up I found I had none of my files.

Something else I should mention is I used WinZip Driver Updater shortly after I started using my SSD which put some stuff onto my computer that severely hampered its performance. I know this to be true because I also used the same program on my laptop which, again, severely hampered its performance.

Should I try wiping my SSD and trying again from scratch?

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Alot of those driver update things have adware and/or bloatware and/or malware loaded into them. Best to avoid all those third party things ... get driver updates from manufacturer website, or just use MS Windows update should be fine.

I concur you should have no problem playing games .. I have a RX 580 which is only slightly newer than yours, plays games very well. I actually set limits on the frame rate to reduce my pc's power draw.

Yes I think wipe your SSD and reinstall from scratch if it isn't going to cause you too much pain. Don't put that driver updater thing on though!!

Another thought is that your power supply is a little on the small side ... the RX 570 can draw up to 200W just by itself. Review on here. Increasing the wattage of your power supply could help your situation also I think.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I believe I did but ultimately I'm not sure. I downloaded the OS off the internet, put it into my SSD and when I started it up I found I had none of my files.

Something else I should mention is I used WinZip Driver Updater shortly after I started using my SSD which put some stuff onto my computer that severely hampered its performance. I know this to be true because I also used the same program on my laptop which, again, severely hampered its performance.

Should I try wiping my SSD and trying again from scratch?
Start over.

"downloaded the OS off the internet"
From WHERE?

" WinZip Driver Updater"
No...never ever.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 4 drivers packages that ever require updating.
  1. Windows. Gets done automatically with Windows updates.
  2. Gpu. Say hello to nvidia or amd.
  3. Motherboard chipset. You'll find all those at the motherboard/support/download.
  4. Some storage. Samsung mostly, but can include others, and you get them at the drives OEM support page.

There's nothing else, other than the odd specialty add-in card like a sound card or wifi that will ever need any driver updated. So seriously what can that software really need to add into a pc. All it'd have to do is look at the system info and look at the driver versions, then hop on the OEM websites and verify against current.

So if WinDriverUpdater is adding anything to the pc other than the search commands, then guaranteed its upto no good. Just do the search yourself.

You don't have a bottleneck, never did. What you've got is a conflict of interest. You have a registry full of addresses that no longer exist, you have links that go nowhere, and other things besides, all to do with drivers.

The ssd should be set for AHCI, works better if set for GPT with CSM disabled and using a windows UEFI, not Other OS. You'll find those in bios.

When installing windows unplug any and all other drives data cables, you do not want windows establishing direct links and treating the additional drives as an extended part of C, regardless of its actual letter designation. Once windows is complete and updated as necessary, then plug the other drives in.

Make sure to grab any motherboard chipset drivers after windows installed, you will not have any as the install wipes them out.

Then update gpu drivers.

Then update any other drivers as needed.

Then run ccleaner to get rid of all the temp and install files that get left over, regardless of supposed deletion.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Elite 400W - V3 PSU
Oof, card must be power throttling hard

Also hold on... you said computer costs over a grand -that's 1000 dollars- but you're using a PSU that's like 10 years old? how? why?

From the rest of the posts looks like your PC has some malware in it

WinZip Driver Updater
Just the name of that screams virus, winzip driver updater? I mean... who came up with that? winzip was a file compressor

Apr 17, 2021
Hey thanks guys, PC works great now. I used this site called bottleneck calculator (https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_5_2600/Radeon_RX_570/0Qj0Yl28/16/100) which, alongside with taking advice from my friends, lead me to believe the problem was my CPU and GPU. Keep in mind though my friends also directed me here so it's not like they were screwing me over or anything lol.

I never claimed to be a very smart individual, so I did a factory reset thinking it would get rid of the garbage on my PC... It didn't.

At the end of the day though this machine works just as I thought it would, matches the output of a last gen console, or at least close enough for me not to notice any difference.

"downloaded the OS off the internet"
From WHERE?

It was late as all hell and I really wanted to go to bed, I used the official source but until I just went back to it a few days ago I legit could not remember the site lol.

Also hold on... you said computer costs over a grand -that's 1000 dollars- but you're using a PSU that's like 10 years old? how? why?

I used PC Part Picker to get my hardware, and this PSU fits. As far as I'm aware it's never given me any grief but I recognize it is nothing to boast about. I was on a budget of not wanting to go too much over a grand cuz my income sucks right now so I picked the cheapest one, after checking the reviews of course, don't want to start any fires.

Thanks again for the help folks!

BF1 looks nice.

USAFRet

Titan
I used PC Part Picker to get my hardware, and this PSU fits. As far as I'm aware it's never given me any grief but I recognize it is nothing to boast about. I was on a budget of not wanting to go too much over a grand cuz my income sucks right now so I picked the cheapest one, after checking the reviews of course, don't want to start any fires.
"Compatibility" in pcpp has no impact on "quality".

Hey thanks guys, PC works great now. I used this site called bottleneck calculator...
That "calculator" is worse than useless. Pure snake oil. Has no connection with any reality.
Those numbers it spits out mean nothing.

Seriously.

Apr 17, 2021
"Compatibility" in pcpp has no impact on "quality".

That "calculator" is worse than useless. Pure snake oil. Has no connection with any reality.
Those numbers it spits out mean nothing.

Seriously.

Yeah, I was just looking for a functional piece. When this thing starts acting up (Which given its price will be sooner rather than later) I'll have the funds to get something better, preferably something that can detach its cables as the current cables are fixed... really not a fan. It also sounds like this thing just reaches the minimum of what my computer needs which probably isn't all that good.

Also yeah I lowkey started susing the site the moment it offered a REALLY expensive GPU which even I, a fool, knew was more than my 2600 needed.

At the end of the day this is my first build, it's... kinda a mess but I love it.

(Insert joke about The Verge)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
(Insert joke about The Verge)
Don't have to, that's the punchline in itself.

You have an Rx570. Minimum recommended Size psu is 500w. There are reasons for this other than pure power draw by the card. They Do spike usage. Here's the kicker, that psu of yours has craptastic protections, as in basically non-existant. In a good quality 400w psu, those spikes would have been enough to trip one of several different protection circuits and shut the pc down. But that hasn't happened. What is happening is that those spikes are pulling way more watts than they should from the psu.

By extention, that means everything 12v sees a low voltage state, for a second, which raises amperage to compensate. Which puts everything at risk of burning out. The protections offered by better psus are there to protect the pc and all its components, the lack of protections is less hassle for sure, but is slowly killing everything from the motherboard to gpu to cpu to ram.

Murphys law states that what can happen, will happen, it's just a question of when not if. Something in your pc will eventually have had enough and reached a breaking point. Could be tomorrow, could be next year, but it will happen Eventually.

It's entirely possible that psu will outlast everything else, but the price for that longetivity might just be needing to replace everything. There's no band-aid fixes, electronic damage is permanent and irreversible.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
RX 570 will NEVER be bottlenecked by a Ryzen 5 2600

For what it's worth, Ryzen 2600 would be bottlenecked by RX 570 if they were to work together to finish a task.

It seems like there's a malware in your system, or your graphics card has physical degredation failures

Also your 400W psu could be the problem for your system