[SOLVED] RADEON RX 5700 XT needs 600W minimum?

Apr 29, 2020
My new setup uses the RADEON RX 5700 XT GPU, and I have a PSU of 550W.
After calculating my setup (on a couple different power calc sites), my wattage should be no more than approx. 400W.

However, the manufacturer box the GPU came in, it recommends MINIMUM 600W?
Will the 550W suffice or do I really need to upgrade my PSU to accomodate this?

Apologies if this seems obvious, I've been led to believe the 550W is enough. Has anyone had experience with a similar setup before? Thanks.

Solution
After calculating my setup (on a couple different power calc sites), my wattage should be no more than approx. 400W.

Apologies if this seems obvious, I've been led to believe the 550W is enough. Has anyone had experience with a similar setup before? Thanks.
Manufacturers always overstate the PSU requirements. If a PSU calculator is saying a 400W is enough then your 550 is plenty. Remember that the calculators put everything in the system under 90-100% load for the entire calculation. A system will never...

Manufacturers always overstate the PSU requirements. If a PSU calculator is saying a 400W is enough then your 550 is plenty. Remember that the calculators put everything in the system under 90-100% load for the entire calculation. A system will never have all parts stressed like that.

Reactions: TomothyH
Solution
Apr 29, 2020
Manufacturers always overstate the PSU requirements. If a PSU calculator is saying a 400W is enough then your 550 is plenty. Remember that the calculators put everything in the system under 90-100% load for the entire calculation. A system will never have all parts stressed like that.
ah, useful to know! Thank you!