My current PC is
Mobo a 320 pro vd/ s
CPU ryzen 3600
GPU Geforce 1060 3gb
RAM 2x 8gb running on 2400mhz
PSU Corsair VS550
Monitor Acer KG271 A - 144hz - AMD free sync
2x HDD 1 TB each.

I am currently considering buying a better GPU i want to be future proof that is why i am considering Geforce 2070 or radeon rx 5700 xt.

I have multiple questions regarding this choice.

First of all is rx 5700 xt even better than 2070? I have read many issues regarding drivers issues and stability, also what are Temp and noise with this GPU i know that amd GPUs are notorious for noise and heat levels, which i do not like, i want to be my PC as quiet as possilbe.

Second question is is my PSU strong enough to run RX 5700 xt? If in fact the radeon is better card than 2070 i would consider buying new PSU as it is much cheaper againt 2070.

The last question i have monitor which supports AMD freesync. Is this even a factor this considering radeon or Geforce. So far i am using geforce 1060 and i never have any issues with screen tearing or at least i never noticed it.

I am runing only on 1080p i do not intented to go for anything else, (4k or 1440p).

If these options are too much of an overkill, feel free to suggest diferent GPUs.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Solution
RTX 2070 actually uses less power (175W - 185W) compared to RX 5700 XT (225W).
While the 5700XT does tend to draw a bit more power, those power numbers are not entirely accurate based on the testing I've seen, unless perhaps we're talking about an overclocked 5700 XT compared against a stock-clocked 2070 (Practically all 2070s you find will be factory overclocked). And the 5700 XT is typically a bit faster in most current titles, though that will vary depending on the game.

Generally, the 5700 XT is shown to be around 5% faster on average compared to a 2070, while drawing around 10-15% more power under load. So really, both of these cards offer relatively similar performance at a relatively similar level of power efficiency...
Apr 20, 2020
i would go with the 2070 cuz its slightly more powerful than the 5700xt, but its also more power hungry and more expensive.
if you want price to performance, you should buy the 5700xt

RTX 2070 actually uses less power (175W - 185W) compared to RX 5700 XT (225W).
While the 5700XT does tend to draw a bit more power, those power numbers are not entirely accurate based on the testing I've seen, unless perhaps we're talking about an overclocked 5700 XT compared against a stock-clocked 2070 (Practically all 2070s you find will be factory overclocked). And the 5700 XT is typically a bit faster in most current titles, though that will vary depending on the game.

Generally, the 5700 XT is shown to be around 5% faster on average compared to a 2070, while drawing around 10-15% more power under load. So really, both of these cards offer relatively similar performance at a relatively similar level of power efficiency. The 2070 is a little more efficient, while the 5700 XT tends to be a little faster.

Which one will be quieter will depend mainly on what sort of cooler a given model is fitted with. Larger coolers with more surface area on their metal fins will typically tend to be quieter, as their fans don't need to spin as fast to dissipate a given level of heat.

The 2070 does also feature some hardware acceleration of raytraced lighting effects, though enabling those in the games that support them still tends tends to cause a rather big hit to performance, and only a handful of games support raytraced effects so far. Still, considering the next consoles should be getting raytracing, it may be something worth having. Just don't expect to be getting much over 60fps with raytraced effects enabled at 1080p, and in some cases not even that. Perhaps the next generation of graphics cards may handle them better.

Depending on what pricing is like where you are, you might also consider the 2060 SUPER. The 2060 SUPER performs within 5% of a 2070, so the original 2070 is probably not worth paying much more than 5% extra for. Their efficiency is about the same, since the 2060 SUPER is just a 2070 with 5% fewer cores enabled. The 2070 SUPER is another option, though it will be priced higher than what you can find some 2070s for. A 2070 SUPER should be over 10% faster than a 2070 (or over 5% faster than a 5700 XT) with power draw and heat output about the same as a 5700 XT.

Solution

Erik_28

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
What about AMD free sync is this even a question to consider or the difference will be unnoticable?
Based on my location RTX 2060 SUPER and RTX 2070 normal are basiclly the same price range so i guess the better option will be 2070.
Compared to radeon rx 5700 xt that is the cheapest option of all three of them hovewer i am not sure how it stands with drivers as i ve seen videos on youtube 1 month old where people were still having problems with drivers, i really do not want to deal with drivers with premium priced GPU, does anybody have experience with new radeon 5700 ?

Thank you for answers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What about AMD free sync is this even a question to consider or the difference will be unnoticable?
Any Adaptive Sync is better than none... also, Nvidia gpus now support Freesync.

Based on my location RTX 2060 SUPER and RTX 2070 normal are basiclly the same price range so i guess the better option will be 2070.
Both 2060 and 2070 are currently priced very competitively VS their Super variants. But they won't stay that way.
Production should have ceased on them since they were intended to be replaced by the Supers. I imagine once supply has dwindled, their prices will shoot up.

Compared to radeon rx 5700 xt that is the cheapest option of all three of them hovewer i am not sure how it stands with drivers as i ve seen videos on youtube 1 month old where people were still having problems with drivers, i really do not want to deal with drivers with premium priced GPU, does anybody have experience with new radeon 5700 ?
Understandable. The Navi gpus are a tough sell/recommendation because of that.
Nvidia may not have the best value products, but their driver packages are more reliable.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If your monitor is Freesync, the Nvidia gpu will run that.
If G-sync, the card will run that.
If none, then you get none.

Freesync monitors are more affordable. Nvidia supporting Freesync gives people less of a reason to purchase the pricey G-sync exclusive models.

Erik_28

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
What s the point of Getting a better psu, when my CPU has only 65tdp? I am always seeing this type of recomndation without any relevant points... Please elaborate.

Last edited:
Higher quality units will have better quality components among other things like a higher temperature limit and ripple suppression(variation of voltage on a rail) . Your cpu isn't the issue, once paired with a high power gpu like a 2070 or 5700, the psu will likely be running at close to max load more frequently, thus running at a higher internal temperature reducing longevity. I believe the vs series is rated at 30 degrees centigrade, which is low as it is not uncommon for psu's to run at 40C. I forget the rule, but I think it was something about every 10C increase in temp would halve the life span of a capacitor or so, that paired with a deterioration in ripple performance at higher load/temp will increase stress on pc components.

There's a lot more to it, so here are some links: here , and here

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The VS series power supplies shouldn't be relied on to hold up to a beefy add-in card. They are the budget level PSU.

Think of the PSU as a safety device. Do you want to trust your expensive CPU and video card to a PSU described thusly:
The black and gray label VS series units are much better than the older orange and black label VS models, but they are still units you really only want to use with basic use office or internet browsing machines, or in a pinch, maybe a machine with a lower TDP slot powered card. Also, they are not a modern design, having an older group regulated platform which you can find plenty of in depth information about if you do a search for "group regulated power supplies". These are better than any of the units down below in the wall of shame list, and better than the older VS and CX units, but don't assume you that you can simply pair a graphics card that has a 550w recommendation with a 550w VS unit and not have any problems, because in all probability, you will. These units are not meant for use with high demand gaming systems. In a PINCH, for VERY short term use, they will work, but they are not going to last under the rigors of daily gaming loads.

Click on the first link in my sig, and read it thoroughly.

Unless you really like gambling with your hardware, get a better PSU.

Erik_28

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
Thank s for explanation.
What do you say about Corsair TX650M or Seasonic Focus GX 650 Gold /// Corsair RM650 or Seasonic Focus 650 Gold Semi-modular or possilby even 750w option like Corsair RM750x ?

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank s for explanation.
What do you say about Corsair TX650M or Seasonic Focus GX 650 Gold /// Corsair RM650 or Seasonic Focus 650 Gold Semi-modular or possilby even 750w option like Corsair RM750x ?
Those area all excellent choices. The 750 gives you more headroom than you really need. The 650W units are still plenty, and there's no real reason to go up to the 750w level. I might do it, say, if it was on sale such that it was the same price as or only slightly more than the 650W models.

Erik_28

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
As i am looking at the GPU more and more i have realize that rx 5700 xt is in the level of 2070 super, only downside it is it does not support raytracing
in my location the difference in pricing on rx 5700 and rtx 2070 super is almost 200eur which is just incredible
i have decided to get Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5700XT 8G with PSU Seasonic Focus 650 Gold Semi-modular

I have last questions it that PSU strong enough for Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5700XT 8G ?
Should i be woried that my mobo does not have good VRMs i am not even sure if this is related (as it is probably related to CPU? sorry for my ignorance). Considering so far my mobo run only 65tdp GPU and 65tdp CPU, and now i want to add on it GPU which has 225tpd.
The last question should i be worried that my RAMs run only on 2400mhz or not?

Thank you again for your answers and knowledge.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
1 - The Seasonic Focus 650 Gold is an excellent choice, giving you more than enough power to run your existing components. You will have no trouble with it.

2 - I unfortunately can't answer the question regarding the VRMs with higher powered video cards. I was under the impression that the VRMs were primarily concerned with powering the CPU. However, my guess is that it doesn't matter. The majority of the GPU's power is coming from the PCIe connectors directly from the PSU. The PCIe slot is rated to carry up to about 75W of power, and most video cards these days will rely more on the PCIe cables, and NOT max out the 75W of the slot. So, I believe you should be safe, but I would have to defer to someone else's expertise if they chime in. (by the way, your existing GPU is 120w tdp, not 65w).

3 - The 2400MHz RAM will work fine, but it does hurt performance, because Ryzen likes fast RAM. Ideal would probably be in the 2933 to 3200 range I would think, depending on if your motherboard states a specific supported limit or not.