[SOLVED] Radeon RX 580 Sapphire Nitro + SE 8GB Crashes to reboot when Gaming

4orage

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
TLDR:
When playing Apex Legends/MSI Kombustor, VGA crashes to black screen and reboot. I have had single colour yellow and light blue screens, followed by reboot less often. I have done multiple driver installs involving safe mode, and have tested my 750 ti Twin frozer 2GB as a Control, I am confused, need help, and will visit the store where I bought the card tomorrow.

Hello! I recently bought a Radeon RX 580 Sapphire Nitro + SE 8GB to replace my 750 ti Twin Frozer. My Computer parts are:
1.) A 550 Watt PSU I bought from ARLT in Germany 1
2.) Radeon RX 580 Sapphire Nitro + SE 8GB 2
3.) AMD FX-8350 4GHz 8-Core Processor3
4.) Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard 4
5.) Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory 5

I also love my Noctua D-14 Cooler and it´s massive bulk, hopefully, this will make you more and not less sympathetic to my cause :Dhttps://noctua.at/de/nh-d14

I suspect that my power supply does not have the watts to power the demand of my older CPU and the Nitro +. I have read this article -> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-580-review,5020-6.html And it seems that the power demand could potentially be quite high. I have the card connected to a PCI slot, and I have run 1x8 and 1x6 Pins from the PSU to the VGA/GPU.

Some visual artefacts did appear, including pink dashed lines running along the edge of the screen before crashing, and "static snow".

Could you offer some information on the possible power demand problems?

Warm regards,
4orage

Solution
You are using a poor quality PSU. Looks like some local generic brand, ARTL. Maybe try testing your GPU by using some other high-quality power supply ? IF the issue persists, then most probably the GPU is faulty.

I've never heard of this PSU brand before. Can't comment on the build quality of this unit though
You are using a poor quality PSU. Looks like some local generic brand, ARTL. Maybe try testing your GPU by using some other high-quality power supply ? IF the issue persists, then most probably the GPU is faulty.

I've never heard of this PSU brand before. Can't comment on the build quality of this unit though

Reactions: 4orage
Solution

4orage

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Thank you for the response! I am on my way to the store where I got the card from, and will test it with another PSU!

4orage

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hello! Update! I picked up the GPU from the stores yesterday, where they ran torture tests on it and tested it at temps of 70° C. I replaced my PSU of 550 Watts with a 700 Watt PSU for 69€. It works amazingly! I can play most games on 1080p and insane graphics, and get 280 fps on kombustor :)

The answer was the power draw after all!

dntxrisiko

Honorable
Jun 14, 2015
Hi guys, i have the same problem...
I just built a PC for my nephew and i have the same problem, my PSU is bigger than the other guy but the gpu still does the same thing, the game starts normally and a few secs later it messes with the colors and the game crashes. The build is more tha enough for the requirements, everything is brand new except the GPU which i bought second hand from a store (it worked just fine at the store)
Build is:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Radeon RX 580 Sapphire Nitro + SE 8GB
Super Flower SF-750F14HG(BK) Leadex III Gold 750W 80 Plus Gold
Kingston SSD 120gb

WD Blue 1TB for storing the games

Please help!!!!!!

Last edited: