News Radeon RX 6300M Cross Swords With GeForce MX450 In Geekbench 5

So, this entry level chip does outperform the competition at a very low power budget - as it's supposed to. The entire article tries to destroy it : "almost outperformed by" the mx450, then "almost doesn't outperform" : the mx450 is a chip that doesn't really allow gaming, neither does this one. But at least it's small, sips power, and only uses 4 PCI-e lanes.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I say first, don't expect magic. These GPUs are all limited by power consumption. There is no point in dumping in more cache, more CUs, more clockspeed etc because its only going to drive up power consumption.

These GPUs on'y have 15-30W power envelope, so even a GTX3090TI is absolutely useless here. And then, there is thermal too.... Cooling in these laptops are nowhere near decent, mostly even inadequate.

This is why I said earlier that the performance is pretty decent. You will find many of these GPUs in thin and light laptops weighing less than 1.5KG, so you can imagine the environment these chips and in and the cooling capacity. USers only expect them to be better than the integrated GPUs by Intel/AMD, thats all.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
So the smallest siblings of each Familes respective generation are fighting it out.

It's like watching two little kids flailing their little arms at each other.

Lol.... But these 2 little kids are very very important. They go where no adults could. These kids operate in mostly thin and light laptops where there is very limited power and cooling.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
When the full fat RX 6500 XT is bad, cutting more and more out of a bad product is just going to result in a worst product. “Cross sword” with a MX450 in my opinion is not a complement when this is a Turing part that is also superseded by the MX5xx series. And frankly, if the iGPU in Rembrandt APUs are shown to be faster than a MX450 in some of the video reviews I saw online, then it makes you wonder why bother to go with such low end GPUs, while still taking a hit in terms of power consumption.