Question Radeon RX 6700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2022
i7-8700
Radeon RX 6700 XT
1300W PSU

About 4 months ago I upgraded my GPU from a Radeon 580 to the above specified card, and had no issues with it at all. In fact, I've been quite pleased with the card. Then a few weeks ago for reasons nobody will ever know, I noticed a new set of drivers came out and decided I might as well update them. Since then my PC freezes at the most random moments, and I can't figure out what's causing it.

I used to have an 850W PSU and my first thought was it was failing. So I upgraded it to 1300, figuring that was more than I'd ever need ever. It didn't fix the issue.

Next I rolled back my drivers to the previous version, which didn't solve the issue, so I got the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) program to remove any trace of any video driver, then reinstalled the previous driver from scratch. It didn't solve the issue.

I've run stress tests on the card and processor for hours using AIDA64 without any problems, temperature for the CPU and GPU got high but not extreme. High 80's C on both, but the card doesn't run anywhere near that on regular use. Watching the temp while running HOI IV it got to 63 C and it remained fairly steady. Power voltage stays steady, though the 12 V will drop from 12.1 to 12.096, which I figure is negligible. I ran a benchmark on the Fur program which gave me a 10000 score. A recently posted RX 6800 score was around 12K so I figure my score is pretty average for my card. As far as I can tell the card is fine and operating exactly as it should be, except that it freezes. It'll freeze before a game gets into the menu, or it'll run 10 hours just fine, it seems to me completely random. I've tried repeating steps that caused it to freeze when it reboots and it runs fine. I simply can't make it freeze.

I put my old 580 back in, and it ran perfect for a week. Not even a hangup.

So I thought damn, the card must be bad. What other explanation is there? I sucked it up and bought a brand new one, which obviously did not solve the issue or I wouldn't be here.

And now I'm asking, what other explanation is there? I can't for the life of me figure out what might have caused the sudden problem, except some possible setting that got changed when I updated the driver. DDU should get rid of every last vestige of the driver but maybe it left something? Does anybody here have any ideas? What might cause it or what other thing I could do to troubleshoot. I'm out of ideas.

Edit: I also tested my memory using the Windows memory diagnostic tool, and another I got from these forums, I don't remember the name. Both said the memory is fine.

Last edited:
i7-8700
Radeon RX 6700 XT
1300W PSU

About 4 months ago I upgraded my GPU from a Radeon 580 to the above specified card, and had no issues with it at all. In fact, I've been quite pleased with the card. Then a few weeks ago for reasons nobody will ever know, I noticed a new set of drivers came out and decided I might as well update them. Since then my PC freezes at the most random moments, and I can't figure out what's causing it.

I used to have an 850W PSU and my first thought was it was failing. So I upgraded it to 1300, figuring that was more than I'd ever need ever. It didn't fix the issue.

Next I rolled back my drivers to the previous version, which didn't solve the issue, so I got the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) program to remove any trace of any video driver, then reinstalled the previous driver from scratch. It didn't solve the issue.

I've run stress tests on the card and processor for hours using AIDA64 without any problems, temperature for the CPU and GPU got high but not extreme. High 80's C on both, but the card doesn't run anywhere near that on regular use. Watching the temp while running HOI IV it got to 63 C and it remained fairly steady. Power voltage stays steady, though the 12 V will drop from 12.1 to 12.096, which I figure is negligible. I ran a benchmark on the Fur program which gave me a 10000 score. A recently posted RX 6800 score was around 12K so I figure my score is pretty average for my card. As far as I can tell the card is fine and operating exactly as it should be, except that it freezes. It'll freeze before a game gets into the menu, or it'll run 10 hours just fine, it seems to me completely random. I've tried repeating steps that caused it to freeze when it reboots and it runs fine. I simply can't make it freeze.

I put my old 580 back in, and it ran perfect for a week. Not even a hangup.

So I thought damn, the card must be bad. What other explanation is there? I sucked it up and bought a brand new one, which obviously did not solve the issue or I wouldn't be here.

And now I'm asking, what other explanation is there? I can't for the life of me figure out what might have caused the sudden problem, except some possible setting that got changed when I updated the driver. DDU should get rid of every last vestige of the driver but maybe it left something? Does anybody here have any ideas? What might cause it or what other thing I could do to troubleshoot. I'm out of ideas.

Edit: I also tested my memory using the Windows memory diagnostic tool, and another I got from these forums, I don't remember the name. Both said the memory is fine.
i think that's a problem with the drivers.. i've seen numerous problem recently on reddit, check this out.

try to uninstall the gpu using DDU (tick all options in amd settings in ddu) then clean and do not restart, and try to use amernime zone driver and see if it's help.

Sep 19, 2022
Tried reinstalling with the link provided, and after a day there was no freeze. I feel like it was freezing often enough it would have today at some point, Hopefully I'm not counting chickens, but it seems to have worked. Thanks Koekieezz!

Reactions: Koekieezz
Status
Not open for further replies.