Radeon RX Vega - i5 3570k - 4k dis

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Currently have a Radeon hd 7950 with a low end monitor. Thinking of upgrading just the card to a Radeon RX Vega and the display to 4k. With a 4k display would there still be a bottleneck as apparently a 4k is supposed to put more work on the card? Do you think this would be getting max out of the card with the much better monitor?

cpu is i5 3570k

Solution
There's no straightforward calculation to determine bottleneck. Basically, if you're getting X fps in games right now, your CPU will be able to provide at least X fps at 4K in the same games. Possibly more, depending on whether your current GPU is holding you back a bit for a given game (hence the suggestion to try turning down settings to make sure the CPU is the limiting factor).

"Bottleneck" is a term that's thrown around a lot and often without fully understanding what it means. I mean, let's say someone is getting a good fps that they're happy with, but their fps could be higher if they upgraded CPUs. Technically that person has a CPU bottleneck, but does it matter at that point?

You're right, a 7950 is not going to cut it...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Vega 56 or 64? Is your CPU overclocked?

Resolution doesn't really affect CPU usage, so if you're satisfied with the fps you're currently getting in games, then your CPU should not be an issue at 4K.

If you want to know what your CPU is capable of if you take your GPU out of the equation, try playing some of your games with your current GPU, but turn resolution and graphics settings to low. Your CPU utilization should be at 100% and your GPU utilization lower. Whatever FPS you're getting, your CPU should be capable of pretty much the same FPS at 4K.

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hi TJ Hooker, thanks for the response. Will try that.

By "card" i mean't graphics card GPU.

"Vega 56 or 64?"
Radeon RX Vega 64

"Is your CPU overclocked?"
CPU is not overclocked. Just running stock.

Hoping that 4k monitor might put adequate strain on the Radeon Vega 64 GPU as I'm thinking the hd7950 won't quite cut the higher resolutions. Then perhaps there wouldn't be so much of a gpu bottleneck?

Not quite sure how to do the calculation.

On this tool they reckon there's an 18% bottle neck with i5 and vega http://thebottlenecker.com/.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There's no straightforward calculation to determine bottleneck. Basically, if you're getting X fps in games right now, your CPU will be able to provide at least X fps at 4K in the same games. Possibly more, depending on whether your current GPU is holding you back a bit for a given game (hence the suggestion to try turning down settings to make sure the CPU is the limiting factor).

"Bottleneck" is a term that's thrown around a lot and often without fully understanding what it means. I mean, let's say someone is getting a good fps that they're happy with, but their fps could be higher if they upgraded CPUs. Technically that person has a CPU bottleneck, but does it matter at that point?

You're right, a 7950 is not going to cut it at resolutions >1080p. 4K/high settings should be demanding enough for a Vega 64 that you're not held back by your CPU too badly, at least in most games. If you have a Z series motherboard, you can also try overclocking a bit.

Solution

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
"Technically that person has a CPU bottleneck, but does it matter at that point?"

Got info here regarding bottleneck.
http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/09/what-cpu-gpu-computer-bottlenecks-how-to-detect-them/
However, I guess it doesn't matter so much. Like having a large sail and a decent gust rather than a hurricane?

"You arent gonna play 4k smooth without a 1080ti "
I usually go by this guide: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Good point does look better but costs more (£800 !!!).

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Fair enough, I'd say you're right in that if you want some longevity when it comes to playing at high settings 1440p is probably a better option for that card. Although your statement about how you'll be lucky to manage on low settings next year at 4K is an exaggeration (except for maybe the occasional really poorly optimized game).