[SOLVED] RADEON RX480 4GB Reaching 83°C while gaming

Mohsin-ismail

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
I bought Saphire Nitro Plus RX480 4GB and placed it in an ANTEC NSK3480 casing...
I played GTA V ultra 1080p on it (case closed) and reached 83°C at 100% fan speed when GPU boost started decreasing GPU clocks to remain at 83°C...

Ok so now i opened the case and there wasnt enough airflow and when i checked the temps while playing gta 5 at ultra most settings gpu was average 76 temperatuee with a max of 81°C and that too for interval never reached 83°C

(Fan speed at max 61%)

Today playing watch dogs the temps went upto 83°C just for a moment there was a little loss in clock speed then under 80 74-78 were the temps at max 65% fan speed...

Are these temps safe now? Gpu is SAPPHIRE NITRO PLUS RX480 4GB

My room is hot and humid... I personally feel very unpleasant playing there... Maybe these are also cause of more temps?

Solution
Are you using vsyn to lock a 60fps limit?
Or maybe a 50fps limit, it will drop gpu usage and temps substantially over running full tilt without affecting gameplay too much.

If not you should be, also enabling radeon chill in radeon settings can reduce temps a fair amount.

Unfortunately in that case and in those ambient temps those temps look fairly normal.

Personally I like to keep gpu's around low 70s max for longetivity, the nitro+ is a good card, it'll throttle if it needs to.

DSzymborski

Titan
Just how hot is the room? They're not great temperatures for sure, but nothing fatal. But the ambient temperatures are a big deal. My GPU peaks in the low-to-mid-70s but I'm starting from an ambient temperature in my office of 20 degrees. If you're starting at 30 or even hotter, your peak temperatures are going to be even hotter.

That's definitely not an airflow case, but a really old one that more envisions office environments, not gaming builds. So taking the side off was the right idea. Given the relationship between power and heat, in a constricted case and possibly an extreme environment, something like a 1650 Super with a good fan solution would have likely been the better investment.

Mohsin-ismail

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
32-25 were room temps plus i did not have budget for 1650 super that was my only chance....

However by specifying fan curve i did manage to keeo average temp at 73 but peaks were at like 78 or more in Gta V in watch dogs average was 76 and peak at 81°C

Mohsin-ismail

Honorable
Apr 6, 2015
I live in Lahore Pakistan so summer is going on and due to passed moonsoon season there is a lot of humidity and hotness in room temps are as of 30-35 so i definitely expect in winter (starting in december) temperatures will be really down

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I live in Lahore Pakistan so summer is going on and due to passed moonsoon season there is a lot of humidity and hotness in room temps are as of 30-35 so i definitely expect in winter (starting in december) temperatures will be really down
83 deg C in a 30+ C environment isn't too bad especially if you don't set a custom fan curve in Radeon software. My RX 580 (basically the same card as yours just bit overclocked) runs at 85 stock in a small mATX case. Adjusting the fan curve helps temp peak at 80 and mainly stable at 76 to 78c.

Either set up a fan curve in the driver and/or add more airflow to your case. Adding case fans or even opening up the side and blowing a small table fan to the PC helps a lot. In my case, it helps the 85C card to be stable at 77c without messing with fan settings.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about 83c. The normal limit is 85c and it's easily fixable if you're worried about the temperatures.

Are you using vsyn to lock a 60fps limit?
Or maybe a 50fps limit, it will drop gpu usage and temps substantially over running full tilt without affecting gameplay too much.

If not you should be, also enabling radeon chill in radeon settings can reduce temps a fair amount.

Unfortunately in that case and in those ambient temps those temps look fairly normal.

Personally I like to keep gpu's around low 70s max for longetivity, the nitro+ is a good card, it'll throttle if it needs to.

Solution