Question Radeon rx480 driver crash loop

DFined

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Hello
I have been having an extremely annoying problem with my Sapphire nitro+ 8 GB OC Rx480. I had just installed a new ssd into my PC and reinstalled windows, after which the radeon driver started crashing every once in a while (sometimes every few minutes, sometimes once in a few hours). It would crash, then get restored. Sometimes it would keep crashing until BSOD-ing with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. What I have tried:
  • DDU - ing the driver and reinstalling - no effect
  • reinstalling windows - no effect
  • downgrading the driver a year or so - the system started seeing phantom monitors (I only have one monitor) and they would continue appearing until windows permanently trashed itself and wouldn't load.
  • all the typically suggesed stuff for radeon driver problems (remove chrome extensions, regedit TdrLevel etc)
Now I do see recomendations to try to update the BIOS but really dont want to unless its absolutely necessary, so I wanted to ask first if there are other possible problems.
If anyone can suggest anything that might help I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance

DFined

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Try ddu again, and let w10 get drivers by himself... Dont download radeon software, just wait till w10 find and install ir gpu
Thanks for the reply! I tried it, but now the result is more or less the same as with rolling back the driver - the GPU detects a phantom display which periodically connects and disconnects and sometimes begins flapping on and off continuously. Deleting or turning it off in the device manager has no effect - it reappaers immediately.

Dec 25, 2019
Hi! I have Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 xt I had same problems graphic card just stop working drivers restart and stuff like that tried like 100 fixes from reinstalling windows fix regedit windows files different driver version... nothing work. Then I give graphic card to my brother to test it on his pc. And he also had crash then he said that he lower the MHz on graphic card and 3d haven worked without crashes on 100% load. So the only solution that work for me if you use AMD adrenalin software go under Performance then enable GPU tuning then enable advanced control scroll down to fine tuning control and just lower the 3rd clock under the Frequancy to some more optimal... I had it maxed to 2000 and lower it to 1700 and now it works. Read some graphic spec to know what are best mhzs for you graphic. So I know my graphic card cant run over 2000 but still the drivers-software used those settings dunno why but hey there was the problem and it work for me. Hope I helped you and save you some time. Please replay if you fix the problem. I was fixing this for a week :D

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Try clearing CMOS. Since it is when you put in the SSD I would also check your BIOS settings to make sure there isn't other issues. If you have a processor with integrated graphics you should try disabling the iGPU in BIOS.

DFined

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Try clearing CMOS. Since it is when you put in the SSD I would also check your BIOS settings to make sure there isn't other issues. If you have a processor with integrated graphics you should try disabling the iGPU in BIOS.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, Ive tried clearing the CMOS, sadly to no effect... Cant actually turn of the iGPU in my BIOS, but I did set the default monitor to PCIE, however that doesnt seem to be having much effect.

DFined

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Hi! I have Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 xt I had same problems graphic card just stop working drivers restart and stuff like that tried like 100 fixes from reinstalling windows fix regedit windows files different driver version... nothing work. Then I give graphic card to my brother to test it on his pc. And he also had crash then he said that he lower the MHz on graphic card and 3d haven worked without crashes on 100% load. So the only solution that work for me if you use AMD adrenalin software go under Performance then enable GPU tuning then enable advanced control scroll down to fine tuning control and just lower the 3rd clock under the Frequancy to some more optimal... I had it maxed to 2000 and lower it to 1700 and now it works. Read some graphic spec to know what are best mhzs for you graphic. So I know my graphic card cant run over 2000 but still the drivers-software used those settings dunno why but hey there was the problem and it work for me. Hope I helped you and save you some time. Please replay if you fix the problem. I was fixing this for a week :D
Hi! Thanks for the reply! I have tried downclocking as well, all the way as low as I could. Cant be sure about the driver crashes (It hasnt crashed yet, but it did have times of up to a day of work before crashing sometimes) but the problem with the ghost display definitely remains (now even on the newer drivers).

DFined

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Can u try other psu? I had similar problems and all was because psu 12v droping in extra hard load
Yeah, I was thinking of the psu, but sadly don't have a spare on hand just now, though I will try to get hold of one. After further testing I'm strongly suspecting a dying gpu or motherboard