Question Radeon RX550 issues working with Acer Monitor ?

Dec 25, 2022
Hello,

I recently purchased a refurbished Optiplex 7010 desktop. It has an I7-3770 processor, 16gb RAM, an AMD Radeon RX550 GPU, and I am using an Acer KA272 monitor. The PC is on W10 Pro and has been fully updated (drivers included). These devices are connected via HDMI. The monitor works fine when being used as a secondary display through a laptop HDMI output but it doesn't detect signal when connected to this Radeon GPU as the primary display.

During troubleshooting, a strange workaround I've come across is if I connect this GPU to a 50" Vizio TV via HDMI and then boot the PC, it displays fine. Once it has done that I can unplug the HDMI from the Vizio TV and then into the Acer monitor, and the display output continues working no problem. Once the machine restarts, the monitor goes back to "No Signal" and then eventually into power saving mode. This issue has persisted no matter what display settings I've tweaked through windows display settings and the AMD software (resolution, refresh rate, FreeSync on/off, power management settings, etc). I've also tried adjusting various settings on the monitor itself (freesync on/off, DDC/CI on/off, quick start mode on/off) but to no avail.

Has anyone ever encountered a scenario like this, or have any clue what could be causing the problem? The only thing I have not tried is the DVI port from the GPU, but the monitor only has VGA/HDMI. The monitor is well within it's return window if it may just be specific to this budget monitor line.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

I'd try and see if your Dell OptiPlex is pending any BIOS updates. What PSU did the prebuilt come with? Can you verify how old the PSU is in the build? Also, mind checking to see which version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on?

Reactions: littlea519
Dec 25, 2022
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

I'd try and see if your Dell OptiPlex is pending any BIOS updates. What PSU did the prebuilt come with? Can you verify how old the PSU is in the build? Also, mind checking to see which version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on?

Hi Lutfij,

Thanks for the welcome and response!

I've run through the gambit of updates and drivers today, specifically regarding BIOS and AMD drivers and I believe the final BIOS update I pushed through seems to have resolved the problem. There have been 2 or 3 other attempts over the last week where I ran this specific update, but due to the screen not working after restart what I didn't realize is that the update never finished.

I was able to spot that issue today and keep the workaround TV connected long enough to ensure it could finish and now that it has I've restarted multiple times with a working display!

Wanted to update here incase anyone else encounters a similar problem.

Below are a few more details to answer your questions:

OS Version - W10 21H2
PSU - Dell B275AM-00 - 275W (unsure of age)
BIOS Version/Date - Dell Inc. A29, 6/28/2018 (This was on version A16 before updating today and seems to be the culprit)

Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS