Question Radeon Rx570 crashing. Is my PSU to blame?

Mar 14, 2019
I'm new to PC building...so I don't completely know what I'm doing but thought I'd give it a shot. Built this PC a few weeks ago and I've been having my graphics card fail on me multiple times I get an error in the event viewer system logs stating "Display driver amdkmdap has stopped responding and successfully recovered." I did go into the windows registry and set TDRlevel to 0. No luck. I did a clean install of AMD's Radeon's drivers (using the latest currently) using DDU in safe mode and no luck games still crash after 10-20 mins of play. I'm thinking about getting another power supply as I've heard bad things about the one I bought and thinking maybe the GPU isn't getting enough power. Is there anything more I should try before seeing if I should RMA the card? Just a few notes about my computer build specs. I feel like I've done a lot of troubleshooting and hit a wall here.
Windows 10 PRO operating system
Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor with Radeon Vega 8 graphics.
GPU - ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 4gb
RAM: Patriot Viper Elite series DDR4 16gb (2x8gb)
Inland professional 480gb SSD.
PSU: EVGA 500 B1, 80+ bronze 500W
Case: Vivo "Smart micro-atx tower computer case black.
Have 2 front fans (stock in case) and 1 rear exhaust (Arctic F12 Silent)

Games I've been playing are Fallout New Vegas, Praey for the Gods, and Vampyr. They all seem to crash and give same error message. I'm running them through Steam by the way. I'm also getting super loud coil whine, which I've heard could be normal. When the games crash, my screen flickers black (shows HDMI input) then crashes back to the desktop. Weird thing is the game audio is still running. I've tried alt tab and it won't bring the game back at all. Thanks for any input you can give and taking the time to share input!!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019
Go to AMD settings -> global settings -> wattman tab -> set power limit to +50%. See if that helps. If so, we can help you with more.... in-depth changes in WattMan
Thanks for the advice. I just got around to trying this games did get more stable I was only able to set to a max of 25% no option for 50. I was able to play longer than 20 mins. I'm still crashing though with the same error message. I got fallout stable for about an hour before a crash with the same error.

Mar 14, 2019
Ok I think I've figured this out. I downloaded the Superposition benchmark test and noticed how hot my GPU is getting during the benchmark test (Close to 78-80 Celsius). So I guess my case cooling system is bad and my GPU is shutting off as a safety measure. I amped my fans up on Wattman to 100 as soon as it gets to 60 Celsius and now no more crashing on any games. Not sure if its good to run them at 100 like that at all times. I'm going to look into more case fans as I can add two more... also something else that's odd my Cyberpower UPC I have my PC plugged into was causing a lot of the coil whine as I unplugged my PC from the cyberpower UPC and put it on a power strip no more loud whine.