[SOLVED] Radeon RX580 Nitro+ causing power down during gaming

Dec 8, 2019
Fairly new to PC building and this site, really hoping someone can help; it will be hugely appreciated.

I recently updated my GPU to Sapphire Nitro+ RX580. I installed it and found when playing games that the computer would shut off after a while. It wouldn't turn back on without flicking the power switch on the PSU at the back of the machine, leaving for a few seconds, flicking back on and pressing the power button on the case.

I already wanted to upgrade the MDB, RAM and CPU, so went ahead and did that in case it was something else. I now have:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8gb
MDB - Asrock B450M Pro4
Windows 10 pro
PSU Thermaltake ToughPower 750W W0117 - This is now the oldest part in the PC > https://www.cnet.com/products/thermaltake-toughpower-w0117-power-supply-750-watt-series/
case - https://www.ebuyer.com/771474-fractal-design-define-mini-c-tower-black-fd-ca-def-mini-c-bk

Since installing all of these upgrades the same issue occurs. When on the desktop or browsing online it never goes off. When I start a game it lasts about 5 mins once I get out of the menus and into the game for real.

Other details which may or may not be important are below:

*The max potential fan RPM seems to be around 3200 judging by the Radeon software. This may be relevant given the second point.
*I ran logging using that software, and the last entry before power off was:
GPU UTIL - 98% GPU SCLK - 1411mhz GPU MCLK - 2000mhz GPU TEMP - 69C
GPU PWR - 158W GPU Fan - 1010 CPU UTIL - 18% RAM UTIL - 7.6GB
GPU VRAM UTIK - 4.4GB
*This effectively means fan is 1/3 of the max speed when shutting off?
*When power goes off, the GPU backplate is hot to the touch.
*I manually put the fans on full when messing with the settings, and it powered off during this test
*I read somewhere else PSU could be a cause if it can't handle the powering of the fans?

I'm hoping all this adds up to the suggestion of a new power supply being the missing link? Even though it's the oldest part, i'm pretty sure 750W is more than enough for this build but I don't say that with authority. Or is it not the wattage but the age or tech in it causing the issues? Could it be the card itself?

It's connected via a PCI - 6 pin and PCI 8 pin.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
1) You can use one 6+2 pin as an 8 pin and you can split the other 6+2 pin down into a 6 pin to power your card.

2) 750w is more than enough for an RX580 and Ryzen 5

3) You should be able to use your old cord, but the SeaSonic PSU will come with a new one.

4) Unexpected shutdowns and restarts are usually a power issue. PSUs weaken with age, so it is likely your old PSU is simply worn out and cannot provide the power the system demands under load now that you have a higher power draw video card.
Dec 8, 2019
This PSU seems to have come out around 2006. You have gotten your monies worth out of it, its time for a replacement.

Thanks for the help. I used the link in your signature, and found this one > https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic...+Focus+GX-650+650W&qid=1575836833&sr=8-1&th=1

Couple of questions:
  1. My GPU needs an 8 pin PCIe and 6 pin PCIe. These exist exactly as needed in the existing PSU. Looking at the pictures of this new PSU, it has 2x 6+2 pins PCIe connectors. Is that ok and I just use one as an 8?
  2. Should 750 watt still be fine?
  3. It looks like it has European plug. Can I use my old PSU cable? Or will I need to buy a new one?
  4. Even though the PSU is old and could do with an upgrade, when you compare it to my issues, could this have realistically been the cause and why? What's the link the GPU performance?

Thanks so much :)

1) You can use one 6+2 pin as an 8 pin and you can split the other 6+2 pin down into a 6 pin to power your card.

3) You should be able to use your old cord, but the SeaSonic PSU will come with a new one.

4) Unexpected shutdowns and restarts are usually a power issue. PSUs weaken with age, so it is likely your old PSU is simply worn out and cannot provide the power the system demands under load now that you have a higher power draw video card.

Reactions: Daveygravyx07
Solution
Dec 8, 2019

OK thanks a lot i've ordered it. I should have clarified I meant that I could see that it comes with a European plug, but i'm in the UK. I will likely need to use my old power cord in that case.