[SOLVED] Radeon RX580 performing terribly

Sep 1, 2020
(Preface)
Alright, so I am not the brightest when it comes to computers, and I had receieved an hp pavilion gaming desktop 690-00xx about a year ago (I've come to learn pre-builts are a sin in the pc community but I don't really have the funds to upgrade it). It was serviceable for me until I started getting recommended videos of people using this computer and getting much better performance than me, I found out I have been using the integrated rx vega 11 graphics card this whole time instead of the rx580 that comes with it, and getting results like 28fps in call of duty warzone and similar frames in fallout 4. So after updating my drivers for my rx580 and seeing that it was now active, but the issue I got was these games now barely boot and run anywhere from 2 to 10 fps, and it doesn't give me the option to switch back to the integrated graphics card where I can at least kind of play games.

I have 16gb of 2666hz ddr4 ram and my CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 3600 Hz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors (Don't know how much of that info is useful but thought I'd provide as much as I can)

I've been researching this issue for the past few days and can't seem to find anyone with the same problems, so I've now resorted to posting on a forum. Any help would be appreciated and I'd be glad to offer any additional info that would be helpful to solving my problem!

Sep 1, 2020
  • You have the monitor cable plugged into the RX580 and not the mobo?
  • Did you download the GPU drivers from AMD's website?
  • What PSU is in the machine? Brand/model/wattage?

I have the monitor connected to the computer through an hdmi cord or a vga cord, depending if I want to use my PS4 that day, so unsure how to check that. I will open up my computer and check out the connection as well as checking the brand model and wattage of my power supply.

As for the drivers, the AMD website just tells me to use windows built in feature for searching for the drives update. I'll make another comment with my findings from opening up the comp. Thank you for responding!

The monitor cable(s) plugs into the exterior of the case (the back). You don't need to "open up" your computer to see that.

On the AMD website link, just select your RX580 from the list and download the driver.
  • Graphics
  • Radeon 500 series
  • RX 500 series
  • RX 580
Sounds like you just have the generic windows graphics driver installed, which is what's causing the awful performance.

Sep 1, 2020
The monitor cable(s) plugs into the exterior of the case (the back). You don't need to "open up" your computer to see that.

On the AMD website link, just select your RX580 from the list and download the driver.
  • Graphics
  • Radeon 500 series
  • RX 500 series
  • RX 580
Sounds like you just have the generic windows graphics driver installed, which is what's causing the awful performance.

alright will do that and mark it as resolved if that does the trick, thanks for the help!

Sep 1, 2020
  • You have the monitor cable plugged into the RX580 and not the mobo?
  • Did you download the GPU drivers from AMD's website?
  • What PSU is in the machine? Brand/model/wattage?

Well now I feel like a moron not noticing that there are two HDMI ports on my computer and I have been using the wrong one for over a year, but I'd rather have the fix be because I was an idiot rather than there being an actual problem with my computer, Thank you so much!