[SOLVED] Radeon RX580 - Stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE // What Failed: ATIKMPAG.SYS

Jan 1, 2020
Hi there,

I've just built a PC with this spec:
  • Team Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4
  • Kingston A400 120GB M.2-2280 SATA III SSD
  • PowerColor Radeon RX580 8GB
  • Intel Core i3 9100F 3.6GHz 4 Core CPU
  • Gigabyte B365M DS3H Intel Socket 1151 Motherboard
  • BE QUIET! BK008 Pure Rock Slim Heatsink & Fan
  • Corsair CP-9020120-UK CX Series 450 W CX450 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS
All installed fine and now trying to get the right drivers for the graphics card. I keep getting blue screen with 'Stop code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE' and 'What Failed: ATIKMPAG.SYS'.

After I installed Windows it reported drivers were Microsoft Basic Display Driver so I downloaded the AMD auto-detect and install package from here. That worked for a bit and I then tried to use 3DMark to run a test. It then started giving me the blue screen with the above messages. Following advice here I've tried installing older versions of the same drivers from AMD and the problem persists. I also tried using DDU to completely remove all other AMD drivers before installing various versions of the AMD RX580 drivers. This has failed on all accounts so I've just tried a clean install and am about to go around again with this process.

Any advice really appreciated at this point?

EDIT: Just learning what a WHQL driver is whilst scanning the previous drivers. Should I be sticking with those when possible?

Best,
G.

Jan 1, 2020
Power supply does not have enough power to run RX 580 video card.
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1496737629#spe

Is there a chance that it is still a drivers issue or is the 500W PSU an absolute deal breaker?

I've been looking at buying a new PSU and used the Outervision calculator. Here are the results:

outervision-power-supply-calculator-2020-01-03-09_37_34.png

It seems to suggest I should be ok with a 450W PSU with my current spec. I assume I should still try to get the best PSU I can and also accommodate for more wattage than the exact power requirements because of inefficiency from heat and it dying over time?

But with the current setup and a brand new system shouldn't the graphics card be working atm?

G.

Jan 1, 2020
Power supply does not have enough power to run RX 580 video card.
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1496737629#spe

I've now replaced the 450W Corsair PSU with the following 600W Thermaltake Smart RGB. I'm still getting the same error message.

I've tried a clean install with the most recent drivers and another clean install with drivers backdated to the previous ones (from Sept 2019) and it's presenting the same error.

Any further advise is appreciated!

I've now replaced the 450W Corsair PSU with the following 600W Thermaltake Smart RGB. I'm still getting the same error message.

I've tried a clean install with the most recent drivers and another clean install with drivers backdated to the previous ones (from Sept 2019) and it's presenting the same error.

Any further advise is appreciated!
That 600 Thermaltake Smart is no better than the Corsair.

Replace that new PSU with a quality 600w+ unit(Corsair RM series is nice). If problem still persists, try to RMA the GPU.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Your CX450 should be sufficient to be honesty (if a little tight), as long as the card isn't a model that comes with a hefty factory overclock. I agree that your new PSU isn't really any better than the CX450 though.

Did you buy the graphics card and PSU new?

Jan 1, 2020
Your CX450 should be sufficient to be honesty (if a little tight), as long as the card isn't a model that comes with a hefty factory overclock. I agree that your new PSU isn't really any better than the CX450 though.

Did you buy the graphics card and PSU new?

Yes, the graphics card is new. As are all the parts.