Question Radeon RX580 Will Not Boot Past BIOS Splash Screen

Mar 27, 2019
I just recently got a Radeon RX 580 from XFX in order to replace an Nvidia 670 GPU in my son's rig. I got the new card and installed it but was unable to get the PC to boot past the splash screen.

Here are the things I've tried so far:

- Uninstall all previous drivers and install the new drivers

- Reset the CMOS

- Reset BIOS and Update BIOS

I am able to get the PC to boot if I do the following:

- Remove the video card and boot with the previous card or the integrated graphics

- Remove all but one stick of RAM and boot with the new video card in. It will boot in this state

I have worked with Amazon tech support who sent me to XFX tech support. Upon telling them my issues they first said it was a driver issue. I advised them I already tried all driver methods and they then said it sounds like the RAM or Motherboard is corrupt somehow. I'm not sure how this can be as well because the PC will boot with only the integrated graphics and all of the RAM installed.

They did also send me a new video card and the video card is doing the same thing

Some things I'm thinking could be going on:

- I have read some places that the PSU may not be able to handle all of the power being output which is what made me try going down to one stick of RAM to test. Is it possible it could be a PSU problem?

- It has an 8 pin power connector and my PSU does not have this. Only two 6 pins. However it came with an adapter to plug in. Is it possible the adapter is somehow compromising this?

I do have other systems I could test in but wanted to avoid this to avoid any driver issues I'd have since all other systems have Nvidia cards. Thinking about maybe just going back to Nvidia at this point but the card came at a good price and he doesn't need a ton of power for the types of games he's playing. I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I go into doing that.

Specs:

CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 600
Motherboard: Asus M4A785-M
PSU: Athena Power 600w
RAM: 8gb DDR2
Windows 10
GPU: Radeon R580

Mar 27, 2019
Your PSU is really not up to the task of powering the RX 580. You really need a better PSU.
Is it the wattage that's the problem or the brand? This PSU was in an old build that wasn't mine originally. So that could be another factor too. Was thinking I'd go with EVGA since i've had good results with them. Is 650 what I should aim for there or is that overkill?

Mar 27, 2019
Okay so I got the new power supply. Before I saw your message I went with the Corsair one. Got it all hooked up. I still can only boot with one stick of ram.

Did some more research and tried some more things. Here is my current state of things that I am just so confused on:

Can boot with one stick of RAM and the new video card.

Can boot with the video card removed, all RAM in and using integrated graphics

If I boot with no keyboard plugged into USB it crashes upon start up and runs a restart for me over and over. Plug that keyboard back in and it will boot as long as the new video card and 4 sticks of RAM are not plugged in.

Thoroughly confused.

Last edited: