Radeon troubles

G

Hi! I was wondering if there was any way to to reduce the clock speed of an oc'd radeon. The card won't output any video and the system refuses to boot up(I can't hear any HDD activity.) When I stick in a different card the system runs fine. My Radeon has 64MB DDR and was overclocked from 183 to about 193.50, using powerstrip 3.01. I tried sticking the Radeon in a friend's computer but it still didn't work.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Does the computer lock when Windows tries to load, or does it lock during POST?

I don't think you can overclock the GPU at the chip level, only within your OS, so you should be able to get to Windows fine. Assuming that, just boot into safe mode and tell PowerStrip to not O.C. your video anymore.

If your computer does lock at POST, then you are screwed. Sorry.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's something else going on there-probably a bad card. PS works only in the O.S. of the computer it's on. And can't run in Safe mode. Or on a computer it's never been loaded on.

Back to you Tom...

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you tried it in multiple computers and it sill doesn;t work, you are out of luck, and probably have a broken board. The really side side to this is that the warrentte is eliminated when you overclock your equiptment, you might be able to get a replacement free ov charge, but more than likely, you will need to replace your Radeon by buying a new one. This is the risk you take when overclocking any computer component so be carefull next time, or OC something you are not worried about losing if things go south.

If it works for you then don't fix it.