Radeon Upgrade from 5770 (7770, 7790 or 7850)

bebelac

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hello,
I have the following system:
i3 3120, 8gb ram
Intel DH67CL motherboard
and 5770 sapphire 1gb gddr5.
My PSU is a non PFC 550Watt with dual 12V (22Amp each). The 5770 run perfectly (since the cpu is only 55watt).
I use a 32 TV as monitor with 1920 x 1080 (I prefer HD to low res for games)
The 5770 was ok but could not perform well at high res, choppy FPS made some games unplayable (of course not with max settings).

So I decided to sell my graphics card. I was lucky enough to sell it right away and now I am considering the following three (all from sapphire):

7770 1gb (additional 48 usd)
7790 1gb (additional 75 usd - but not sure if it is available)
7850 2gb (additional 130 usd)
I do not live in the US so these are prices from local stores (in addition to the money I received from the 5770).
I know the 7850 is significantly better. I am afraid that the PSU will not be able to support it and the 130 additional are a stretch for me so adding a new power supply will be out of the question.

Based on the prices I mentioned and the non pfc power supply it seems to me that the 7770 or 7790 make probably more sense.
The question is will they provide a significant upgrade to my old 5770?

by the way I only play sports games (NBA, FIFA, etc), racing games and rome total war.

Thank you for the input.

Solution

well if the game needs less than 1gig then the extra vram doesn't do anything, but once it needs more (via some AA-settings, mods or high res texture packs) the performance plummets.

I certainly wouldn't buy 1gig card for 1080p anymore since the vram amount is going to limit the performance/visuals in the near future especially when the next gen consoles get launched and new games will most likely need more resources than they have before when they were developed primarily for the old consoles with 8 year old hardware...

Kari

Splendid

Kari

Splendid

well if the game needs less than 1gig then the extra vram doesn't do anything, but once it needs more (via some AA-settings, mods or high res texture packs) the performance plummets.

I certainly wouldn't buy 1gig card for 1080p anymore since the vram amount is going to limit the performance/visuals in the near future especially when the next gen consoles get launched and new games will most likely need more resources than they have before when they were developed primarily for the old consoles with 8 year old hardware...

Solution