Radeon VE

G

I recently rushed into buyng a new graphics card, the Radeon VE, I thought I was going to buy a GeForce 2, but I bought a radeon. I was wondering is this a good card compared to other cards. The salesman said that when it comes to preformance between the GeForce and the Radeon the average user can't tell much difference. They also said that the Geforce has more speed while the Radeon has better detail. Is this true. Please help me out. I am new to the building your own computer scene. Here is what i have:

ASUS A7V133 Motherboard w/ VIA KT133A chipset
AMD Thuderbird 1 Ghz CPU
32 MB DDR Radeon VE
D-Link NIC
Western Digital 5400 rpm 13.6 ATA/66 HD
Creative 12x DVD
Philups 8x4x32 CD-RW
Creative Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer

I am trying to build a decent gaming machine to play games like Unreal and Quake 3 over my LAN with friends with good speed and superior graphics. I will be putting my old VooDoo 3 2000 in my other computer to play these games. Please help...

Remember...Chixs dig guys who drive cars with big engines! :cool: !

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
ATI has a history of giving us lots of features, and a slower speed, while GeForce likes speed and then sum. As far as the Radeon VE goes, a good product if you plan on using multiple monitors, not so good if you just use one. Other Radeon cards do equally or even better, depending on what you use it for. The Radeon DDR is best for games while the All-in-Wonder is best for media (IE using your computer for a TV/VCR/DVD player. As far as your systen goes, I would recommend you upgradr your HD to 7200 RPM and to 20 GB. The preformance gives a huge bust to how fast programs run and load. Maxtor is good for this purpose. Everything else looks good.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

You made the same choice as I did ..but for the wrong reason, I'm afraid. If game performance is what you're looking for, you should've invested on a real Radeon card, not the Value Edition, or, possibly some more expensive card. You know, Radeon VE's 3D features are a stripped down version of the original chip. Please read the article on Graphics guide: <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010316/index.html" target="_new">"Working on two fronts ... "</A>

<i> There's nothing worse than industrious ignorance </i>
-Goethe