[SOLVED] Radeon Vega 64 doesn't boot after cooler swap

Feb 14, 2020
Hello dear community!

I have a problem with my MSI Radeon Vega 64 Air Boost OC:
The card worked normally when I got it, but with an unbearable volume. So I decided to install an alternative VGA cooler+fan. But after I installed the card again, my system did not boot at all. BIOS sent the normal "Everything OK" beep over the speaker, but I didn't get any video output and mouse and keyboard didn't light up either (so obviously the OS didn't load either).
So I put the OEM fan back on and now I get a start screen from the BIOS and also mouse and keyboard light up. But I can neither get into the BIOS setup nor does Windows load. After the start screen the monitors don't get a signal and the fan of the Graka suddenly turns to 100%.
Obviously I damaged the card, so the question is: Do you have an idea how to get it running again?
The rest of the PC runs fine, by the way, with other graphics cards there is no problem at all.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Solution
Sounds like the VESA standard stuff is working, but the rest of the card isn't? Usually see that as a failure to boot to windows (driver initialization failure), but the BIOS typically works. Though newer UEFI BIOS might require more functionality, so not sure on that one.

You can always try re-doing the cooler installation again, might be applying too much force, or too little. If any part of the silicon is not making contact it could be rapidly overheating when it tries to do more than the basic start screen. If there are any signs of physical damage to the HBM or GPU, then I would say toss this one up to experience.

Beyond that, nothing comes to mind.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the VESA standard stuff is working, but the rest of the card isn't? Usually see that as a failure to boot to windows (driver initialization failure), but the BIOS typically works. Though newer UEFI BIOS might require more functionality, so not sure on that one.

You can always try re-doing the cooler installation again, might be applying too much force, or too little. If any part of the silicon is not making contact it could be rapidly overheating when it tries to do more than the basic start screen. If there are any signs of physical damage to the HBM or GPU, then I would say toss this one up to experience.

Beyond that, nothing comes to mind.

Solution
Feb 14, 2020
Thanks for your thoughts! I wasn't able to spot any physical damage on the card, so reinstalling the cooler might be worth a try. I also thought about trying to go with the onboard graphics of my mainboard, could that actually provide some new information?