News Radeon VII Allegedly Reaches End of Life Status, AMD Responds

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder if its discontinuation actually has more to do with the launch of the Radeon Pro Vega II than Navi.

I wish I could justify buying one, as they're easily the best GPU compute card for the money, but I have no way to justify it. And, the way these things usually work, by the time I actually need it for something, a faster product would be available for less $.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The difference in price isn't 70%, it's closer to 55%; still a no-brainer though on the 5700 XT over the VII.
For gaming, absolutely.

However, the VII is still somewhat a unicorn product. It's all about the superlatives:
  • 16 GB
  • 1 TB/sec memory bandwidth
  • 2.78 fp64 TFLOPS
Compare that with any other consumer video card you want, and the only one that comes close is Titan V. Here's how it compares:
  • 12 GB
  • 0.65 TB/sec
  • 6.14 fp64 TFLOPS
Of course, the Titan V costs > 4x as much.

For anyone doing GPU-compute (other than deep learning), the Radeon VII is still a phenomenal deal. I just wish it had PCIe 4.0.

I wonder if its discontinuation actually has more to do with the launch of the Radeon Pro Vega II than Navi.

I wish I could justify buying one, as they're easily the best GPU compute card for the money, but I have no way to justify it. And, the way these things usually work, by the time I actually need it for something, a faster product would be available for less $.

That would be my guess. Since this is basically a professional card packaged as a gaming card when they move on there will be less available that don't pass testing.

I do love the responses from AMD though. Just generic lines made up for such questions.

"Your office is burning"

"We continue to see X as a strong brand that will continue to bring a burning fierce competition to the market."