Question Radeon VII resolution out of range on ASUS VX2AH

Nov 30, 2019
Hi
A few months back I bought a GIgabyte AMD Radeon VII GPU.
The card runs fine and even bottlenecks by i7-4770 :)
However during POST, the ports output a resolution to the monitors, which they cannot display. therefore they show an "out of range" message on the screen. As soon as the OS drivers load, the resolution changes to something that the monitors will display.
I previously had a Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming installed and this worked fine, but only outputted 1280x1024 on the two 2560x1440 monitors. Connected to a 1920x1080 monitor does output full resolution, so the monitors might not be the problem.

Now here comes the strange part. I have an older 1920x1080 Samsung LED monitor with and HDMI port. If I, before powering on the PC, the Radeon VII outputs 1920x1080 and then I can move the cable t1o the Asus monitor and it will output 1920x1080 to that as well.
If I power on the computer while connected to the ASUS monitors, I can move the cable to the Samsung monitor and it will show a picture. However looking at the info OSD of the samsung, it tells me that it outputs 2560x1440 @60Hz. It also says something about 88.8kHz

Onboard Intel iGPU outputs 1920x1080 to the ASUS monitors.
Connection between monitor and GPU is a DP to HDMI cable, but straight HDMI to HDMI does give the same out of range error on the Radeon VII.

The motherboard of my system is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, if it can be of any help. Latest stable UEFI bios is applied

Does anyone know why this happens with these monitors and the Radeon VII

sibsibsib

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
Hi
A few months back I bought a GIgabyte AMD Radeon VII GPU.
The card runs fine and even bottlenecks by i7-4770 :)
However during POST, the ports output a resolution to the monitors, which they cannot display. therefore they show an "out of range" message on the screen. As soon as the OS drivers load, the resolution changes to something that the monitors will display.
I previously had a Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming installed and this worked fine, but only outputted 1280x1024 on the two 2560x1440 monitors. Connected to a 1920x1080 monitor does output full resolution, so the monitors might not be the problem.

Now here comes the strange part. I have an older 1920x1080 Samsung LED monitor with and HDMI port. If I, before powering on the PC, the Radeon VII outputs 1920x1080 and then I can move the cable t1o the Asus monitor and it will output 1920x1080 to that as well.
If I power on the computer while connected to the ASUS monitors, I can move the cable to the Samsung monitor and it will show a picture. However looking at the info OSD of the samsung, it tells me that it outputs 2560x1440 @60Hz. It also says something about 88.8kHz

Onboard Intel iGPU outputs 1920x1080 to the ASUS monitors.
Connection between monitor and GPU is a DP to HDMI cable, but straight HDMI to HDMI does give the same out of range error on the Radeon VII.

The motherboard of my system is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, if it can be of any help. Latest stable UEFI bios is applied

Does anyone know why this happens with these monitors and the Radeon VII
I have a similar issue with my Gigabyte 5700XT and ASUS VX24AH monitor, and a Gigabyte X570 motherboard. I have also tried a Benq monitor and it has the same problem. Mine is out of range until the windows log on screen appears. I can't see my BIOS screen or my bitlocker password entry screen. I have to enter my password blindly to be able to load windows. I have contacted Gigabyte support and after 2 weeks when they finally replied their reply was useless "send it back to your supplier for further analysis". It seems that the graphics card can't drive a monitor through the HDMI cable until windows loads. I have plugged in my son's AOC monitor that has a display port connection and it works fine. I can see my BIOS and bitlocker screens as normal with that. Unfortunately my ASUS monitor doesn't have display port, only HDMI. . My old graphics card works fine through HDMI. It's a problem with the 5700 series graphics cards, and other cards too by the sounds of it. Gigabyte doesn't want to know about it. How about other manufacturers?